ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hugh Freeze quick notes (post-Alabama A&M)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
We are set to speak with Hugh Freeze following Auburn's 73-3 victory over Alabama A&M.

Follow along and refresh for all updates.

*** Obviously I wish they are all like that. Good to see a lot of kids get involved. Pleased with all aspects. Still have room to clean up. Mentioned it was Auburn's 800th win.

*** Couldn't say more about our student section. They were here two hours before the game and then they stayed until the end.

*** Five newcomers with a receiving TD. Most passing yards in a season opener.

*** Thought defensively they were okay. Too many penalties. Misaligned too many times. Expect that in an opener.

*** On five penalties and two turnovers: "I didn't want the two turnovers. That irritates me. Doesn't matter which group you are with, we work with them on it."

*** On what he can take away: "I thought the execution early on was good, especially in the passing game."

*** "Payton's got to clean up a few things, too, that frustrate me. And he knows better. He missed a spot route on 3rd down. Got to get him to where that doesn't happen."

*** On the pass/run ration: "I don't get caught up on the rushing stats. I get caught up in what he get per run. I think we averaged almost 10 yards a rush tonight which is pretty good."

*** "It's a balancing act because you never want to be seen as doing something unsportsmanlike but Hank needs to run the offense, Holden needs to run the offense." - on the offense after gaining a huge lead.

*** On freshmen receivers: "It was really satisfying and I enjoyed, they are just young kids man. They are just enjoying playing."

*** On getting the ball down the field: "There's nothing like confidence and that's something we've always been good at is creating explosive plays and that's something we weren't good at it last year. Part of the reason I brought Nix on."

*** On Tyler Johnson and Percy Lewis: "I haven't watched the film so it's hard for me to tell. We are going to need both of them."

*** On Towns McGough: "He seems to be right at home in this stadium. That's really good to see."

*** On defense: "I don't think we tackled too poorly, which was good. Was shocked that we didn't crush the pocket a little better. I might be wrong when I watch the film, but it's got to be better."

That's it for HF. Enjoy the rest of your long weekend!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.