ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hugh Freeze quick notes (Cal week)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
We are set to speak with Hugh Freeze as Auburn prepares for its matchup against Cal this Saturday.

Follow along and refresh for all updates.

*** Happy Labor Day to everyone. Obviously a lot of things to be pleased with on Saturday. Again our student section, band and cheerleaders and fans overall were incredible.

*** Will go through the "truths" with the team right after this. Thought the effort was really good on defense. Tackled fairly well. 9-of-14 three-and-outs. Limited the explosive plays. All of that was positive.

*** Special teams was really positive. Explosive punt return and a blocked punt for a TD. Played a lot of kids on special teams.

*** Towns did a really good job kicking.

*** Was physical up front. 16 explosive plays. 9.8 yards per carry. Only one penalty on offense.

*** It was a good film to watch for our first game. Biggest thing was two turnovers. We can't do that. The ball has to be the priority.

*** On Cal: Defensively it is the same. Justin Wilcox is one of the best defensive minds in the game and has been for years. They did a really good job against us. They have a few returners on that side. The defensive ends are good. The linebackers are aggressive and play hard.

*** Their plan last year was to make Auburn throw it and the receivers have to win some one-on-ones. Auburn didn't have the guys last year to do that.

*** Offensively Cal is different. Different coordinator. Different offense. They go fast and play up-tempo. That can cause problems with communication.

*** On injuries: "Champ has been struggling with a calf strain. He could have played more snaps. I expect Isaiah to be ready."

*** On play of offensive line: "I thought it was solid. I thought we protected well. We kept the quarterback clean."

*** On defensive line: "I thought they were solid against the run. We didn't crush the pocket quite as well. We didn't call as many pressures early on."

*** On rotation on defensive line: "I continue to see 6 or 7 guys."

*** On young defensive backs: "We have some improving to do. They get so handsy. Stay in your technique and go play the ball."

*** On freshmen WRs: "Really good, really. There were a few routes that were really short. Basic game plan. This week will be more extensive. Got to get some good work in today. Thought they handled their first live go really well."

*** On theme for the season after it being gratitude for fall camp: "It will be a recurring theme this season. But there is a new one every week. Last week was what is in your hands."

*** Players used some of their NIL along with the contributions that Jill and Hugh provide to help 13 families stay out of foster care just last week.

*** "I don't think there is any substitute for confidence. If our players believe in the game plan..."

*** "I talk to them right after the play." - on when a player screws up. Mentions they have the iPads help. "I wish the camera wasn't on me at all times. My wife got on me last night about one time."

*** "Payton can handle tough coaching."

*** On Hank Brown: "I'm confident in him. The guy's a gamer. I think he was 3-of-5 with one drop right in the hands. When the RPO was supposed to be thrown, he threw it. When it was supposed to be ran, they ran it."

*** "Well, they are really confident right now." -on offense. "Here's our chance to prove it against a team that I think plays really good defensive football."

*** Biggest difference from coaching in Group of Five and SEC? "Recruiting."

*** "I want to say this thing about starting: I don't care." - question about if Malcolm Simmons can start this week. Hugh has made this clear many times.

*** "I may talk to him but I see what they are doing and I have a good feel for what they've done." - on talking to Sam Jackson this week about Cal

*** On linebacker play: "I thought they tackled well. I thought our dropped into zone needed work."

*** On Keionte Scott and comfortable with him returning punts: "We need him back there. He's dynamic and proven he can change field position for us."

That's it for Hugh. Enjoy your Labor Day!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.