ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hugh Freeze quick notes (8-16-24)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
We are set to speak with Hugh Freeze as Auburn prepares for practice on this lovely Friday.

Follow along and refresh for all updates.

*** Wants to congratulate Coach Hopper and the women's soccer team on the big win against Clemson last night.

*** Showed the team a lot of clips on how to practice and how not to practice. Thinks this week has been much cleaner. Was in stadium on Tuesday night and had some tackling issues. Think they are learning how to practice. The fear is if the team can tackle when it gets real. Going a few more live periods tomorrow.

*** On Payton Thorne's development: "Really good. Offense had its best day yesterday. It was complete." Said there were very few bad things on the practice film yesterday. Payton is adjusting the protection very well.

*** Thinks Sam Jackson, Robert Lewis and Camden Brown had a great day yesterday.

*** Payton has been accurate this week

*** Really likes this team. Loves the attitude. They are buying in. Most part they are operating out of hunger and humility and not out entitlement even though they are competing for playing time. "Really enjoying coaching this team."

*** On O-line: "The O-line is one of the tighter groups we have. I do think we have a ways to go there. That has probably been my biggest worry on offensive right now, believe it or not. Really happy with most of them up there but there are a couple of spots where we have to get better." Says Connor Lew is making the right calls but it isn't always translating to every position. Debating where to play Dillon Wade. Tyler Johnson is making a push and is healthy again.

*** "DJ Durkin coaches defense like I believe offense should be taught."

*** On Towns McGough: "The first week he was fairly inconsistent but this week he has been really solid." He had some critical kicks there during red zone closing.

*** HF felt bad leaving about the offense on Saturday but felt better after watching film. Some of it was one-on-one plays by receivers that wowed him.

*** On players we aren't talking about: "I would start with Demarcus Riddick. He's going to be outstanding. Crawford at corner is going to be really good. Malik Blocton is going to play as a freshman. Amaris Williams, I don't know if you talk about him enough. On O-line, De'Andre Carter. We really hit on him. He's got to change his body a little bit but he's going to be talented."

*** Did a mock 6:30 game already. Going to do a mock 2:30 game next week. So the players can experience what it is like.

*** On CBs behind Keionte and Kayin: "Inconsistent but hopeful. Kite, Crawford, JC are all young kids. Amon Lane-Ganus, those four we have to have them play."

*** A unique challenge this fall camp? "It seems the decision of how physical and demanding you are on the team is harder to decipher. I don't remember feeling that way."

*** Separation on guys behind Payton? "I haven't told the quarterbacks yet, so I won't say, but I kind of know in my mind where we are heading next week."

*** KeAndre Lambert-Smith and Robert Lewis have set a good leadership tone in the wide receivers room. "That competition in that room is elevating them and they are doing the right thing. It's bringing out the best in the guys and I love to see that happen."

*** "We have some 10 personnel ready. And 20 because I like our tailbacks."

*** Says they played Rivaldo too much last year, so those 10 and 20 give him a breather.

*** Jeremiah Cobb on kick returner: "Jeremiah, Malcolm and Jarquez will kind of rotate kickoffs. Malcolm, Bryce, Perry and obviously Keionte will on punts." Says if they have a punt that has to be caught, Will Upton is an option.

That's it for HF. Have a great weekend.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.