ADVERTISEMENT

How many racists are in your orbit?

texasAUtiger

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Sep 6, 2003
And by racist, I do not mean "white person" or "Republican". Please no false equivocation.

So, I'm asking: of all the people who you are around on more than a fleeting basis, people who know your name and you know theirs and you all interact, how many of them exhibit racist language, behavior, or attitudes?

Drilling down a little further: of those above, how many are under the age of 60?

I'll go first. I can think of two three who are well over 60 (elderly family members from the south, shocker).

I can think of one more (about 40 years old), a family acquaintance from a very rural area.

And by racist, I do not mean "white person" or "Republican". Please no false equivocation.

So, I'm asking: of all the people who you are around on more than a fleeting basis, people who know your name and you know theirs and you all interact, how many of them exhibit racist language, behavior, or attitudes?

Drilling down a little further: of those above, how many are under the age of 60?

More than I am actually aware of. In my home town of Cairo? More than I could count, and many are my age (50) or much younger. The majority, to be certain. Where I live now isn't as overt; it's there, just more subtle.

Reactions: fntiger
The worst racists I’ve been around I’ve been in Boston and Chicago. Hard. Core. Esp in Chicago. They hate the polish.

I’d guess that less than 1% of the people I regularly interact with are what I would consider to be truly racist, and most of them are old guys at the gym.

It seems that there are more of the really young black generation that feels it's okay to say, "White people do some crazy stuff", or "White people are racist, blah-blah-blah". I try to keep myself from going 'Ham, and just stay calm, but teach fervently as to why you cannot make such statements, even in jest.

Also, one of my Uncle's in his early 80's, whom I really respect and love, made a comment during Thanksgiving one year talking about some things racists whites have done in his lifetime, and it was within earshot of his daughter-in-law who is white, and his mixed race grand-kids. I don't think she was offended, but I just cringed and hated to hear him make a, "White people" blah-blah statement.

I remind everyone that I'm around, that we can NOT say certain things, just because we've been discriminated against. Stay fair, even if others aren't being fair to you.

Perceived prejudice due to race is actually a biological response inherent to humans. Link

That means everyone I know is racist. A few thousand, at least.

That's only because you're short.

Full disclosure: I'd pick you to be on my side in a fight over @Hornacious. He's all limbs and tendons.
He is a bad ass for sure. The Horns arent pushovers though. Westside beaches.

Dude wtf? I thought we were cool after I helped you get up into your chair at the Bunkeroo lunch.
T_K1urx-U1hyF79TEAk7ofgtAbU4liQJdOTXVA7xBbEqCGKpOpUt05FxL4oGv0ECONp4shPG4E_Q_CtSUZy-263Qrry4r7s60w6Xpw7t0ya_7mPzQTvuA_GkTRakEMqIIcm1J78fAkTr

Reactions: Hornacious

What definition of racist are your referring to?

Actual racism, where the individual believes a race to be inferior to others?

Or modern racism, where prejudice, based on how people of all walks present themselves, has been conflated as racism?

Reactions: Thrill
What definition of racist are your referring to?

Actual racism, where the individual believes a race to be inferior to others?

Or modern racism, where prejudice, based on how people of all walks present themselves, has been conflated as racism?

Examine this scenario, and tell me which one you feel is practicing racism. Person A truly believes that minorities are slightly closer to animals, have less intelligence on average, and are inherently lazy, yet he is an equal opportunity employer with his business. He hires all who are equally qualified, and gives them their own chance to advance, based on their work ethic and demonstrated ability. He even extends additional care and instruction to some of the inner-city youths that he employs because he knows they didn't have anyone to teach them work ethic, and other various skills that are required to be successful.

Person B, doesn't believe that minorities are inferior, (per se), but if an inner city youth walked in with a doo-rag, and his pants sagging, he's dismissed before the interview even begins. This guy smiles at work, and interacts with his minority co-worker, but he wouldn't dare live around them, and always votes to keep the public transportation system from the big city nearby, from being extended to his suburb, (even though it would mean a TREMENDOUS opportunity for economic improvement for the minorities that would use it to have access to better jobs, better schools, and the ability to be exposed to another culture to learn things that their culture lacks). Person B sees a young black male in his community, you bet your bottom dollar he's going to follow him and see what's up, because "You know statistics show how THEY steal" etc.

In your opinion, which one, (or both), do you consider to be racist? The one who feels they are inferior, but would never do anything to restrict access to jobs, education, equal advancement etc., or the one who pre-judges based on perception, and thereby restricts all kinds of opportunities that are required to have a truly level playing field?

Examine this scenario, and tell me which one you feel is practicing racism. Person A truly believes that minorities are slightly closer to animals, have less intelligence on average, and are inherently lazy, yet he is an equal opportunity employer with his business. He hires all who are equally qualified, and gives them their own chance to advance, based on their work ethic and demonstrated ability. He even extends additional care and instruction to some of the inner-city youths that he employs because he knows they didn't have anyone to teach them work ethic, and other various skills that are required to be successful.

Person B, doesn't believe that minorities are inferior, (per se), but if an inner city youth walked in with a doo-rag, and his pants sagging, he's dismissed before the interview even begins. This guy smiles at work, and interacts with his minority co-worker, but he wouldn't dare live around them, and always votes to keep the public transportation system from the big city nearby, from being extended to his suburb, (even though it would mean a TREMENDOUS opportunity for economic improvement for the minorities that would use it to have access to better jobs, better schools, and the ability to be exposed to another culture to learn things that their culture lacks). Person B sees a young black male in his community, you bet your bottom dollar he's going to follow him and see what's up, because "You know statistics show how THEY steal" etc.

In your opinion, which one, (or both), do you consider to be racist? The one who feels they are inferior, but would never do anything to restrict access to jobs, education, equal advancement etc., or the one who pre-judges based on perception, and thereby restricts all kinds of opportunities that are required to have a truly level playing field?
They both are. Although, being that I work for a law firm, if any youth regardless of color walked in with a doo-rag and sagging pants, he would be dismissed before the interview began.

Both but person B poses a bigger threat to the minority community.

The worst racists I’ve been around I’ve been in Boston and Chicago. Hard. Core. Esp in Chicago. They hate the polish.
Most everyone I know from Chicago, Boston, Philly & NYC are racist or SJW.

There really isn’t a middle ground, but i would argue racism is prevalent across the US (perhaps more so in larger cities).

Reactions: Eagle
They both are. Although, being that I work for a law firm, if any youth regardless of color walked in with a doo-rag and sagging pants, he would be dismissed before the interview began.

Thrill, it was just for the purposes of illustration. I was typing fast during a break. However, I do have to explain these things to young men that I mentor, all the time. The fact that you CANNOT just roll up into an interview with cornrolls, and sagging jeans. Some may find it amazing that young men would have to be taught that, but many don't understand the cutlure enough to know that what is seen as COMPLETELY NORMAL, in one culture, is seen as completely awful in another. Therefore you have to teach even basic things like that because no one has ever taught them how to translate between mainstream culture, and what they know and do every day. Without that advice, many will simply stick to their normal M.O. doing what is 100% normal to them, (and won't have a clue as to why they didn't get the job). Same types of deal with managing money, approach to education, and on and on and on.

It's similar to throwing away an uncut diamond because it's dusty, black and unimpressive on the surface, (i.e. a diamond in the rough). However, if you spend a little time, cutting away the rock, shining and polishing, (instead of throwing it away), and you could have yourself a real gem. Don't automatically toss that book in the garbage, just because the cover is tattered, battered, and sagging. ;)

Last edited:
Thrill, it was just for the purposes of illustration. I was typing fast during a break. However, I do have to explain these things to young men that I mentor, all the time. The fact that you CANNOT just roll up in an interview with cornrolls, and sagging jeans. Some may find it amazing, but many don't know even basic things like that because no one has ever taught them, so they operate doing what is 100% normal to them, (and may not know why they didn't get the job). Same types of deal with managing money, approach to education, and on and on and on.

It's similar to throwing away an uncut diamond, (i.e. a diamond in the rough). You spend a little time, cutting away the rock, shining and polishing, and you could have yourself a gem. Don't automatically toss that book in the garbage, just because the cover is tattered, battered, and sagging. ;)
I agree with not throwing away an uncut diamond, but, in my business, we have a lot of minority applicants for entry level type positions that know how to dress properly, so those are the folks we hire. But I work in the white collar world, so things are just different. I'd be more than willing to give a chance to the saggy pants kid if I was in a blue collar business.

Reactions: au4life_rz
I gave the examples because of your first post that essentially said that Person B wasn't a racist and that it was just some modern stuff that has been conflated and mistaken for real racism.
Let me try to aid visual aids to clarify my position

If you are prejudice against this:
1551865294.jpg

But not this:

1.jpg

I do not find this to be racism because the prejudice is not formed based on the person's race but rather how they present themselves.

In your description above for person B, you stipulated if they saw someone who was black, they would follow them. Well that is following people strictly on the basis of their race which is racist.

ADVERTISEMENT