ADVERTISEMENT

How Bad does it hurt?

haywood58

All-SEC
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2009
Birmingham
That's the real question that needs to asked of this coach and athletic administration. How does it feel to be owned by your cross state rival and have a losing record to your bitter rival just up the road in Athens, GA? Well gather round boys cos Poppa gonna tell ya a bed time story. once'st upon a time he was in school at Auburn when they had a coach by the name of Cousin Doug Barfield. Yessir, he was the finest coach this side of Hattiesburg, Missisip cos he'd been coarchin at USM and we just had to have'em. Why your Poppa watched in the rain as UT beat us 42-zip and our best player was a linebacker by the name of Freddie Smith. Coarch Doug had to bail him out o'the Lee county jail every Friday night so's he'd be ready for Satday's game.

We was powerful bad in them thar days. So bad that we'd lost to Alabamy so many times we'd lost count. Coarch Doug would have coarches corner every Thursday outside o Haley Center to answer questions from the students. Problem was, no students came cos we was so bad it didn't matter none what Cousin Doug had to say.

Well finally, the administration and bod o Trustees got's so desperate and tired of losin they got's together and said "let's go hire usins a shore nuff coarch. I mean one that can beat them boys been spankin us good all these years. Well now they talked it over and interviewed the usual suspects but then they talked to this fellar what had coarched fo Da Bear and almost better n'that had played at Georgy. Well now they ax him how long it'ud take to beat Alabamy. Why he was a smart gummer and answered "60 minutes". Why now them boys on the bod o' Trustees liked that answer real good, hey haw! Why they hired that coarch and within a couple o years he's beatin Alabama regular and all. Why he even was beatin Georgy and winnin that thar SEC championship type thing.

Well here we are boys. How bad do we want to win. I mean the athletic department and administration and board of trustees? Does it hurt to lose so bad that they'll do whatever it takes to stop it and start winning? Personally i think we aren't there cos JJ will of course spout off about being a "good Auburn man" and that's the most important thing. we just don't value winning the same way our rivals do and until we do, not much will change. I'm hoping that the powers that be will get to the point like these guys above did in 1980 to do whatever it took to hire a winner. Whatever you want to say about Pat Dye, he was a winner. We need another one of those today instead of the HS coach we've got.
Sweet Dreams!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.