ADVERTISEMENT

How’s the hospitals looking stevesawbones? Got a COVID update?

I was thinking about this last week, and it still holds true today. This is probably the first time since June that I don't personally know somebody that has COVID.

Reactions: tigrdent
We are at one eighth what we were five weeks ago. I have been all about precautions and vaccines but I think we are on the home stretch if we get people to take the vaccine. The media has been overly alarmist recently because the massive stimulus package has yet to be approved. I pray that I am right and they are wrong about the next three months. January was hell.

It has to be us going from one mask to two. That made the biggest difference. Don’t forget to wear your mask, socially distance, and don’t ever dream of returning to normal.
They said last year two weeks to stop the spread. What they meant was two masks. Somebody clearly screwed up.

Patient counts in AL are down by 80% in a month & a half. Don't expect that to be widely reported anywhere though.
The drops in case numbers/deaths has been widely reported on the news I have watched, just as was the case when the first and second waves subsided.

The drops in case numbers/deaths has been widely reported on the news I have watched, just as was the case when the first and second waves subsided.

I haven’t kept up but has the decline stopped? Still not below 60,000 cases daily avg?

Below 50,000

“While the U.S. has seen a six-week downward trend in cases, Walensky said Monday that the most recent seven-day average of new cases and deaths showed a roughly 2% increase compared to the prior seven days. The U.S. is currently averaging approximately 70,000 cases a day.”

It's INSANE how are numbers have dropped here at the plant since we started making folks come in pre-shift at 5am and wait in line to get their antibodies rapid tested rather than paying them to sit at home until their "symptoms" go away.

My point is that an 80% decline in hospitalizations in a month and a half is absolutely breathtaking, and cannot possibly be construed as anything but good news, yet the media will fall all over itself to either ignore or to couch it as a negative if they do report it. Hell, from the three articles you linked the summary in the link says "too soon to be overly optimistic"; "a grim new forecast" that we are "not out of the woods yet"; and the third article that is not at all positive but rather focuses on the "flattening" of the decline, only in passing mentioning that hospitalizations are still going down.

It is like there is a directive from somewhere that only bad news is permissible. And if you must tell good news, tell it in as negative a light as possible.

You want to know how to know if things are improving? Just follow UAB twitter. If they are posting regular updates of their patient counts then things are getting worse. If they stop posting patient count updates altogether then things must be improving.

Reactions: Gusmus
My point is that an 80% decline in hospitalizations in a month and a half is absolutely breathtaking, and cannot possibly be construed as anything but good news, yet the media will fall all over itself to either ignore or to couch it as a negative if they do report it. Hell, from the three articles you linked the summary in the link says "too soon to be overly optimistic"; "a grim new forecast" that we are "not out of the woods yet"; and the third article that is not at all positive but rather focuses on the "flattening" of the decline, only in passing mentioning that hospitalizations are still going down.

It is like there is a directive from somewhere that only bad news is permissible. And if you must tell good news, tell it in as negative a light as possible.

You want to know how to know if things are improving? Just follow UAB twitter. If they are posting regular updates of their patient counts then things are getting worse. If they stop posting patient count updates altogether then things must be improving.
You’re condemning a news source for advising everyone to remain cautious with a disease that has killed more than half a million Americans? Absolutely remarkable.

You’re condemning a news source for advising everyone to remain cautious with a disease that has killed more than half a million Americans? Absolutely remarkable.

Biggest problem we face currently is people just don't want to change their priors or they expect them to be changed instantly:

People being extremely cautious aren't suddenly going to change their behavior overnight as cases drop (though they absolutely should once they are vaccinated). Alternatively, those same people should be shouting from the rooftops that if you get your vaccine we get back to normal, not the we still need to be safe, etc.

I haven't seen any news reports that claimed the reduction in cases and deaths was bad news. Meanwhile, I have seen many which said it was obviously great news. Not sure what you are expecting, but no one is going to report that the crisis is over already when that obviously isn't the case. A year ago if someone posted we would have 2k+ deaths in a day, they would have been called a reckless fear monger. The US had that many deaths 3 days last week and that was a drastic improvement over where we were in January. It's not difficult to acknowledge things are getting better while also pointing out that the threat is still ongoing. Pretending the threat wasn't real in the first place or was over in May or September is what got a lot of people killed so the media is going to continue telling people to not let their guard's down until things are significantly better.

We are at one eighth what we were five weeks ago. I have been all about precautions and vaccines but I think we are on the home stretch if we get people to take the vaccine. The media has been overly alarmist recently because the massive stimulus package has yet to be approved. I pray that I am right and they are wrong about the next three months. January was hell.
ITS A HOAX.jpeg

ALER AGAIN.jpeg

@aler dated 2/29/20.

Anthony Fauci 3/20 /20 'Millennials should use this time to take a cruise while rates are low" Anthony fauci the entire month of march. just wash your hand masks don't work
You said it was fake despite having no idea what you were talking about. You're part of the problem — troll or not.

You said it was fake despite having no idea what you were talking about. You're part of the problem — troll or not.
Jay respectfully so did the CDC. Nancy pelosi urged everyone to go to Chinatown for spring festival . DE Blasio went to st patties day parade and urged all New Yorkers to ignore covid. the CDC and who said it couldn't be transmitted person to person, the virus turned out bad and many lost there lives that's on God not me . it killed people all over the world our curve looks like all the rest. I know you lost friends and I am deeply sorry but billions of people agreed with me then and still do. anyway I will bow out of this thread it just causes you pain and that's not my intention

Jay respectfully so did the CDC. Nancy pelosi urged everyone to go to Chinatown for spring festival . DE Blasio went to st patties day parade and urged all New Yorkers to ignore covid. the CDC and who said it couldn't be transmitted person to person, the virus turned out bad and many lost there lives that's on God not me . it killed people all over the world our curve looks like all the rest. I know you lost friends and I am deeply sorry but billions of people agreed with me then and still do. anyway I will bow out of this thread it just causes you pain and that's not my intention
I’m talking about you. I don’t care about the CDC. This ain’t a CDC website.

Reactions: aler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT