ADVERTISEMENT

Heart Issues

Auburn93

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
May 7, 2005
Georgia
Back in March of 2020, I stated publicly that Vitamin C and Melatonin should be given for COVD infections. I still have that belief and the doses of each should be higher than what is normally used. Here are three articles that support my belief. One came out after COVID, the others before. If you want to prevent heart issues, keep your Vitamin C and Melatonin levels high. That can be done through supplements but it is better to do it by what you eat and going to bed early. Some people opt to go to bed late but just block the blue light with light blocking glasses. Either way, keep your levels up. For the physicians, it significantly lowers troponin I.

This not only works for heart issues, it is my opinion that it will help with all oxidative stress related issues that occur from COVID.

https://www.aging-us.com/article/203503/text

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jpi.12564

https://www.internationaljournalofcardiology.com/article/S0167-5273(16)31461-9/fulltext

Last edited:
I understand the intent here and lowering oxidative stress on the body should be a plus whether for reasons of a particular treatment plan or not. I could handle the high doses of vitamin C, however if I tried to take the doses of Melatonin I’ve seen you suggesting to others here, I’d be a non functioning zombie.

I heard Linus Pauling speak at UAB way back in the day. At that time he was heavy into Vitamin C as a combatant for just about everything. I remember his daily recommended dosage at that time as being 1,000 mg a day - but he also recommended 2,000 mg a day in the 1970s. Now the Linus Pauling Institute recommends 400 mg a day.

Reactions: Big Blue
I heard Linus Pauling speak at UAB way back in the day. At that time he was heavy into Vitamin C as a combatant for just about everything. I remember his daily recommended dosage at that time as being 1,000 mg a day - but he also recommended 2,000 mg a day in the 1970s. Now the Linus Pauling Institute recommends 400 mg a day.
Pauling has been criticized for his views on Vitamin C. He gets lumped in with other former Nobel Prize winners as having "Nobel Disease" for those views...

One thing about Vitamin C is that we don't make it. The only Vitamin C we get is in what we eat. The body conserves it by a recycling method involving erythrocytes and electrons. If you have a pathogenic situation where your immune system is working hard to remove a pathogen, you may not recycle your Vitamin C. It is needed to do a lot of different things and sick people need more. This is a good article describing what Vitamin C can potentially do to our immune system. One thing I thought interesting is how Vitamin C can correct β-Thalassemia major which causes blood clots. I haven't looked into the gene issues involved but just found it interesting with what COVID is doing to our blood.

Don't go all Pauling on us reading this article but when going through the 122 references listed, it can make one wonder how good Vitamin C can be. I have unfortunately had to be a human Guinea pig to get well and leaning about Vitamin C and its effects was part of it. I've personally done 25 grams of Liposomal Vitamin C in a 24 hour period with 13 grams the following day. I had no adverse reactions and slept better than I had in years.

As for the high melatonin dose, they have used multiple dosing of higher strengths in women with pre-eclampsia and lower doses (3mg) three times a day to show improvement in CRP in COVID patients. I've seen doses of 120mg in severe patients with Lyme Disease. Sometimes we just need more because of our increased metabolic demand. I've never taken 30mg three times a day but I wouldn't hesitate taking it if I had COVID. They've used it it Jordan up to 80mg for COVID with good results.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6798581/

@Auburn93, when’s the best time of day to take Vit C or does it matter?
It doesn't really matter, Vit C gets absorbed pretty rapidly and if you are taking the liposomal liquid, you can literally take it every 15 to 30 minutes. Tablets take longer to dissolve but since we should take it multiple times a day, just take it when you get up, with each meal, and at bedtime with a glass of water.

Reactions: Doug3020
I take Centrum multivitamin for men, am I going to die?

R.74a80d57f5f92045869caaa0d3f92477

@Auburn93 - tell me again what a daily, once per day, tablet dose should be for a relatively healthy adult during cold and flu seasons and all the other times.

@Auburn93 - tell me again what a daily, once per day, tablet dose should be for a relatively healthy adult during cold and flu seasons and all the other times.
I can't answer that. I can give you the RDA on the minerals in it but we are all different and require different amounts of each. I am not overly fond of the big company multivitamins like Centrum. They're better than nothing, but I'm not convinced the dissolution on those big tablets is consistent enough for what we need.

The key to long life in my opinion is the ability to adapt. I have to eat a plant based diet or I get sick but the next person may have to eat a carnivore protein based diet to maintain health. It will eventually catch up to him but my diet will catch up to me too. The key is giving our body what it needs and those needs depend on our microbiome, our environment, and our genes. COVID deprives our body of a lot of things like divalent cations (elements like magnesium, boron, selenium, copper, etc), Vitamin C, and lowers our cellular pH buffering capacity. The people that can adapt to this survive, the ones who can't don't.

Back in March of 2020, I stated publicly that Vitamin C and Melatonin should be given for COVD infections. I still have that belief and the doses of each should be higher than what is normally used. Here are three articles that support my belief. One came out after COVID, the others before. If you want to prevent heart issues, keep your Vitamin C and Melatonin levels high. That can be done through supplements but it is better to do it by what you eat and going to bed early. Some people opt to go to bed late but just block the blue light with light blocking glasses. Either way, keep your levels up. For the physicians, it significantly lowers troponin I.

This not only works for heart issues, it is my opinion that it will help with all oxidative stress related issues that occur from COVID.

https://www.aging-us.com/article/203503/text

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jpi.12564

https://www.internationaljournalofcardiology.com/article/S0167-5273(16)31461-9/fulltext

Good call on your part. Thank you so much for your contributions, and hypothesizes through this thing.

One quick question. Didn't you recommend 30mg of melatonin 3 times a day yesterday? To a completely unqualified person such as myself, this seems EXTREMELY high, and anything in the 10mg - 20mg range would probably be classified as high. Just wondering if I'm remembering incorrectly.

Lastly, everyone should know, but please talk to your doctor before taking any supplement or treatment routine. I like to use google, and talk to my pharmacist too, just to get a broader spectrum of opinion that gives even more objectivity, (though we all know that the doctors are the SMEs in these situations).

I understand the intent here and lowering oxidative stress on the body should be a plus whether for reasons of a particular treatment plan or not. I could handle the high doses of vitamin C, however if I tried to take the doses of Melatonin I’ve seen you suggesting to others here, I’d be a non functioning zombie.

Yep. A good approach would probably be for everyone to start with a small amount of melatonin, (5mg or so), and slowly move up until they find the smallest amount that gives them the best quality of sleep. If you go over your personal limit, your sleep can start getting worse with really weird dreams and zombie-like effects in the day time.

@Auburn93 and others who may know, to your knowledge, is there benefit in taking mega-doses if it interferes with someone's circadian rhythm?

Reactions: oldwarrior62
Good call on your part. Thank you so much for your contributions, and hypothesizes through this thing.

One quick question. Didn't you recommend 30mg of melatonin 3 times a day yesterday? To a completely unqualified person such as myself, this seems EXTREMELY high, and anything in the 10mg - 20mg range would probably be classified as high. Just wondering if I'm remembering incorrectly.

Lastly, everyone should know, but please talk to your doctor before taking any supplement or treatment routine. I like to use google, and talk to my pharmacist too, just to get a broader spectrum of opinion that gives even more objectivity, (though we all know that the doctors are the SMEs in these situations).
Yes, I stated I would take that dosage and frequency if I had COVID. It is a high dose, but I've also seen 1800mg of Thiamine for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and it is effective. Some people have transporter genes (for a lack of a better term) that don't function efficiently and they must saturate the cells in order to get cell penetration. It has been used at that dosage before and I've read studies on the high dosage.

Yep. A good approach would probably be for everyone to start with a small amount of melatonin, (5mg or so), and slowly move up until they find the smallest amount that gives them the best quality of sleep. If you go over your personal limit, your sleep can start getting worse with really weird dreams and zombie-like effects in the day time.

@Auburn93 and others who may know, to your knowledge, is there benefit in taking mega-doses if it interferes with someone's circadian rhythm?
About 5mg is all I can tolerate and that has to be at bedtime.

About 5mg is all I can tolerate and that has to be at bedtime.

Yes. Most folks should only take it right before bedtime, and it would seem logical that everyone should take the smallest minimal dose that gives them good sleep.

@Auburn93, would you still recommend the higher dosages for those who have COVID, even if it has messed up their circadian rhythm/sleep during previous use. Seems that disrupted sleep would NOT be a good thing fighting off any infection, since we know well what a lack of sleep does to the immune system.

Reactions: oldwarrior62
Yes. Most folks should only take it right before bedtime, and it would seem logical that everyone should take the smallest minimal dose that gives them good sleep.

@Auburn93, would you still recommend the higher dosages for those who have COVID, even if it has messed up their circadian rhythm/sleep during previous use. Seems that disrupted sleep would NOT be a good thing fighting off any infection, since we know well what a lack of sleep does to the immune system.
I would take it, yes. Melatonin would do more to help the immune system.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT