ADVERTISEMENT

Happy 28th Birthday to Metallica's Load Album

MetallicAub

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2015
At the time it was divisive...they cut their hair, released a very MTV friendly song and of course "sold out."
Did they sell out though....yes they did, every show, every night :)

There are many "fans" who complain that Metallica did nothing great after the Black Album, some argue their relevance died after Justice but as much complaining about their post "long hair" era exists...these folks are wrong.

Load is a legit album with fan favorites and deep cuts that hold up today.
I would argue they just made mistakes on the singles and tried to reach a larger MTV audience post Black album, marketing mistakes but not musical ones.

Thoughts on the Album
Singles
Until it Sleeps - cool song but not their best and should not have been the first single
Hero of the Day - arguably one of my least favorite Metallica songs
King Nothing - absolute banger, should have been the first single and would have drastically changed the discourse of the album if it was

Deeper Cuts
Bleeding Me - arguably one of the best and most deep Metallica songs. I love this song, I love it on the album and I love it live. Classic
Wasting My Hate - another one that would have crushed as a single, fast and a slight callback to their punk 80s love
Outlaw Torn - the best song on the album, the best S&M song too. I wish they would play it more often live.
Ain't my Bitch - would have been a good single...better than the both Until is Sleeps and Hero.
2x4 - good, not great. Kind of groovy with a slower pace.

Kick off your morning the right way!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News