ADVERTISEMENT

Grading Harsin

CRACKPIPE2

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2005
I think its ESD jitters, but I decided to feed my inner Tolstoy and publish my Harsin novella.

For the millinials, TLDR C+ trend TBD Wed.

I played for Coach Lolley in high school, I love hard ass football coaches. Harsin seems to check that box.

I was also a big Tubs guy. In hindsight, maybe I settled for too low a bar for too long. Fortunately and unfortunately I see a TON of similarities with Harsin. IMO Tubs was one of the best big game coaches of my generation. I had more faith in Tubs as a 20 pt dog than as a 20 point favorite. My biggest problem with BDB's resume was what looked to me like too many bad losses. I'm having GT, Arkansas flashbacks. I'll always give a young coach a chance to make mistakes and grow, but Ga State and USCjr games gotta go. Soon.

Most weeks we showed up to play. I at least have some hope that Harsin is going to be really good in big games. I felt like we played at or above our talent level most weeks, but the 2 1/2 games that we didn't were BAD, really bad. Unacceptably, deal-breakingly bad if they continue.

Another similarity with Tubs would be talent evaluation. I would get just as excited over the 2 stars as I would the 4 stars. Harsins record at Boise, back office endeavors, and even last year's portal work give me a very high level of confidence that he will find his share of unpolished gems.

Bigger question is can he go toe to toe with the heavy weights and bring home our share of the bigger names? Tubs rarely did. Early returns were bad. Lately, however, we've at least got in the fight in a pretty big way. Weve built momentum,, created energy and burnt the jet fuel.. Thats a great first step. There is no Trooper on the staff,, but can Caddy or even Trovon be the next Trooper without the baggage?

Can we close? We will soon find out. I don't expect to get them all, not even the majority, but I do expect / hope to land some. Its an absolute must. If not now, very damn soon.

I wanted a bright young coach. Going that route, you have to hope you find a good coach that grows into a great one. Screw up are going to happen. If you make a stupid play call, or even hire a bad play caller, learn from it and do better next time. If you don't have a recruiting network, build one. Prepare your team EVERY week. We hired a young coach. He had some glaring mistakes. Expected. Can he learn from them and improve? I'm hopeful. Not sold yet, but certainly hopeful enough to stay fully on board for now.

Next season should give us our direction, and it won't be determined entirely by the win total. Unlike the last few seasons, I'm still excited to see how it plays out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.