ADVERTISEMENT

Free Speech is dying when you can't even wear a shirt for an opposing news organization.

WarEagleWestman

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2007
Without having to grovel and ask for apologies. People losing their jobs because they post on FB or Twitter because they see the politics behind the BLM movement??? How has it come to this?? This is America!! Corporations bowing down the movement because they are scared of being bullied. We need some common sense. Disagreement doesn't mean you hate people. Wake Up! I feel sorry for Gundy. EVERYONE with a brain knows that he can't really express his real feelings.

Without having to grovel and ask for apologies. People losing their jobs because they post on FB or Twitter because they see the politics behind the BLM movement??? How has it come to this?? This is America!! Corporations bowing down the movement because they are scared of being bullied. We need some common sense. Disagreement doesn't mean you hate people. Wake Up! I feel sorry for Gundy. EVERYONE with a brain knows that he can't really express his real feelings.

This is completely about politics now, when you run possibly the worst candidate ever against an incumbent that you truly hate you will stoop to any lengths to win.

He problem is those who are bankrolling this think that they can simply tell everyone Togo back to 4 years ago after the election, they have now opened Pandora’s Box, and they won’t be able to close it.

Reactions: aubadger
This is completely about politics now, when you run possibly the worst candidate ever against an incumbent that you truly hate you will stoop to any lengths to win.

He problem is those who are bankrolling this think that they can simply tell everyone Togo back to 4 years ago after the election, they have now opened Pandora’s Box, and they won’t be able to close it.

Just imagine what is going to happen when Trump get 4 more years.

I mean what is going to be the reaction of this country’s minorities when Trump wins by a 55/45 margin?

I had never heard of OAN before this Gundy dustup/story but per wikipedia, OAN is a "far-right propaganda cable channel" so maybe it is more than just an opposing news organization. On the other hand, wikipedia's cites for this claim are from NBC News, ABC News, CNN, Daily Beast, and Vanity Fair, so who knows?

OAN is probably thrilled about the free advertising of its channel. No such thing as bad publicity, eh?

Reactions: hooter80
Free Speech has always had consequences. Those are bigger and more instant with social media. Gundy can continue to wear whatever shirt he wants to. He just might not get to keep the $5M a year job he has. Or maybe he gets enough good players that don't care/like the same channel and it doesn't matter. This is capitalism supply demand, resource scarcity, utility all of it. If my job decides I did something unbecoming of an employee of theirs they will fire me. So each day every decision I make has to balance what is important me. Maybe if people could disagree without being such raging assholes about it the consequences wouldn't be so dire.

Reactions: Big Blue
I had never heard of OAN before this Gundy dustup/story but per wikipedia, OAN is a "far-right propaganda cable channel" so maybe it is more than just an opposing news organization. On the other hand, wikipedia's cites for this claim are from NBC News, ABC News, CNN, Daily Beast, and Vanity Fair, so who knows?

OAN is probably thrilled about the free advertising of its channel. No such thing as bad publicity, eh?

This I had never heard of it, not sure if I have ever see one of their shirts before, if I do I didn’t know what it meant.

Personally I will hold my opinion of the because I have never seen one second of their programming. I’m fairly certain that like everything else the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: Big Blue
If people are here claiming free speech violations because of someone wearing a shirt, it might be good time for them to dust off their employment agreements and confirm the language they signed off on.

Free Speech has always had consequences. Those are bigger and more instant with social media. Gundy can continue to wear whatever shirt he wants to. He just might not get to keep the $5M a year job he has. Or maybe he gets enough good players that don't care/like the same channel and it doesn't matter. This is capitalism supply demand, resource scarcity, utility all of it. If my job decides I did something unbecoming of an employee of theirs they will fire me. So each day every decision I make has to balance what is important me. Maybe if people could disagree without being such raging assholes about it the consequences wouldn't be so dire.
This seems to be one of the biggest issues with our society right now. Social media is probably the biggest contributor to losing this, but it sure seems like people used to be able to tolerate dissent a lot better than now.

Reactions: DLucky
Sure he can. It isn't illegal. Now, his shitty opinions might illicit some consequences, sure, but thems the breaks.
Freedom of speech is not the same as freedom from consequences. I don't understand what people don't understand about this concept. I can totally defend your right say the most racist, sexist, misogynistic, homophobic thoughts that pop into your head - but if your boss decides to fire you for being a racist, sexist, misogynist, homophobe because he doesn't want his company or brand associated with people who think like that then you live with the consequences. Natural and logical consequences should not be such a foreign concept to folks.

Ya noticed that free speech is dying did you? I saw that about three years ago.

Freedom of speech is not the same as freedom from consequences. I don't understand what people don't understand about this concept. I can totally defend your right say the most racist, sexist, misogynistic, homophobic thoughts that pop into your head - but if your boss decides to fire you for being a racist, sexist, misogynist, homophobe because he doesn't want his company or brand associated with people who think like that then you live with the consequences. Natural and logical consequences should not be such a foreign concept to folks.
So companies should have the right to fire people because of different opinions??? And I do NOT mean Racist, Sexist, and Homophobic opinions. I'm just talking about different political opinions. It's NOT racist to realize that BLM is a political movement and not what the name suggests. I hope people sue these companies for wrongful termination. Again, I'm NOT talking about blatant racist slurs and statements.

So companies should have the right to fire people because of different opinions??? And I do NOT mean Racist, Sexist, and Homophobic opinions. I'm just talking about different political opinions. It's NOT racist to realize that BLM is a political movement and not what the name suggests. I hope people sue these companies for wrongful termination. Again, I'm NOT talking about blatant racist slurs and statements.
Companies fire people all the time for differences of opinion, most states are right to work and you can fire someone for pretty much any reason you want. But you are answerable for your opinions. If your opinion falls outside the values of what your company stands for, then even a "political" opinion could get you fired. If you work for the National Immigration Law Center and wear a Build That Wall t-shirt, your job is likely going to be in jeopardy.

It doesn't have to be political and its not new. If I work for Coke and they catch me on film saying Pepsi tastes better I will probably be fired. If the company thinks the opinion expressed negatively impacts their brand they will remove you. Then you have the recourse of suing them. I haven't seen many of the latest firings that will win wrongful termination lawsuits. The company will be able to show all the negative emails, tweets, and phone calls that employees actions created as evidence.

As long as it’s two sided then I give zerofvcks, but I should be able to take the same stance and fire an employee that is involved in protesting or BLM without repercussions as well without media broadcasting it and taking sides. Let’s let each employer decide based on your point and not public outcry.

Reactions: WarEagleWestman
ADVERTISEMENT