ADVERTISEMENT

Did Coach Freeze yelling at Thorne trigger his meltdown?

au4life_rz

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Atlanta, (Originally from B'ham)
A semi-meltdown that led to the pick 6 and ultimately, our loss. Now, don't get me wrong. I hate babying and coddling players IN GENERAL. I believe in developing mental toughness, and real men who don't melt when things get intense. But the truth is, Thorne has always shown signs of being shook when the pressure is ratcheted up. Guys like he and Jeremy Johnson can kill it in practice, but when the bright lights come on that deer-in-the-headlights syndrome shows up.

You've got to know the player you're dealing with, and do whatever is best to get THAT particular player to perform at his best. While I could be dead wrong, it seems like a lot of demonstrative things were being done for the cameras, (by both the coach and the player). He was playing a solid game by his standards, but after CHF chewed him out, you could see that "shook" look on his face. Then he goes out and ends up throwing a devastating pick 6. I wonder if it might have been better for coach to smile, throw his arm around him and then deliver the information need to coach him up, in the most positive manner possible. Last year, when CHF announced there would be a big try-out between him and Robby, Payton got worse. Then later when he fully endorsed him and took the pressure off, Payton played a LOT better.

At any rate, it's just food for thought. At this point, Thorne is what he is, and CHF needs to do whatever he can to stroke the lamp in a manner that will tease "peak Thorne" out of him, (whatever that happens to be). Dude just can't handle pressure.

Reactions: Q6AU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.