ADVERTISEMENT

Crocky Poo's questions for the experts

crococile22

CALL ME "CROCKY POO"
Gold Member
Jul 9, 2019
im a nerdy stat guy when lookin at games and definately have a blindspot for the football side of the game

usually i can see a problem in the boxscore but dont know enough football context to know what the issue is or what the possible solutions could be

so heres the 3 things from this past weekend i saw but got no clue how to fix or why its happening

#1.) THORNE UNDER PRESSURE

THORNE VS CAL
AKJ7RN5.png

2023 STATS

M2b91Eb.png

one of auburns main issues on offense is this stat right here "PRESSURES INTO SACKS %". payton has been historically bad at this. mix that in with auburns inability to convert 3rd and long/2nd long consistently (a lot of teams are bad at this) if you increase # of times you face these situations it obviously stifles the offense

21.6% is better from thorne but still way too high. the other SEC qbs who face this problem are in dynamic offenses with playmakers (alabama + mizzou) that can convert those 3rd/2nd and long or theyre just in crappy offenses

why is this happening? is it a thorne issue or much broader like oline not giving escape paths/no hot routes or checkdowns within plays/ receivers dont know scramble drills/bad protection or maybe a mix?

#2) LACK OF BEHIND LOS TARGETS

2024 AUBURN SEASON SO FAR
MEVyiyS.png

2024 SEC OFFENSES SO FAR

b4CRwMy.png

through 2 games we only have 6 targets behind LOS. only other teams close are south carolina with 6, miss st with 7, tamu with 4 and vandy with 4

is this stylistic? that means lack of screens and stuff but also lack of checkdowns for qb under pressure.

most of the "good sec offenses" have like 15-22 so far (texas 20, tennessee 14, mizzou 15, ole miss 16, georgia 22)

seems like a way to get rb the ball in space + drag linebackers out of position to space out the defense

#3) WHY DOES PFF HATE ASANTE IN COVERAGE

V1ulDNz.png

this one i just dont understand, i thought asante has been playing great at LB but pff every gaames typically marks against him for miss tackles/YAC against defenders it doesnt seem like he's supposedly covering

is this just a PFF thing or is asante leaving assignments to rush the QB? have you noticed anything out of the ordinary with asante within the scheme overall/is it something we should be worried about or is it just pff being dumb

@jhead34382 @Rejects @hunter48 @CJG2010 @Docdumpsta @reesedw @Boisgreat @Coach Bunker GET IN HERE!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.