ADVERTISEMENT

COVID Math Question

Auburn93

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
May 7, 2005
Georgia
I'm having a hard time figuring this out so maybe one of you statistics guys can give me an answer. I Goggled the vaxxed percentages.

The CDC says:

56% of Americans are fully vaccinated.
44% of Americans are not fully vaccinated

5% of the hospitalizations are fully vaccinated
95% of the hospitalizations are not fully vaccinated.

15% of the hospital deaths are fully vaccinated.

Using those numbers, is it accurate to say that the death rate for fully vaccinated people is just under 1 %?

I have not seen your last fact published and not sure it is accurate. What has been published is that if you are admitted to the hospital, you have a 15% chance of dying.

I'm having a hard time figuring this out so maybe one of you statistics guys can give me an answer. I Goggled the vaxxed percentages.

The CDC says:

Using those numbers, is it accurate to say that the death rate for fully vaccinated people is just under 1 %?
Most of the vaccinated dying from Covid now are very elderly or have other problems that cause the vaccine to not work as well. 90% of the elderly have had a shot. I think it’s safe to say this group that the vaccine is less effective on has close to a 1% death rate. Booster shots are needed for the elderly now.

JQyeV9A.jpg

Reactions: StatsMatter
I have not seen your last fact published and not sure it is accurate. What has been published is that if you are admitted to the hospital, you have a 15% chance of dying.
It came from a Dr on here who works at a hospital. I don’t doubt it but he also stated barely any are vaccinated in the hospital and didn’t say any vaccinated died if I remember correctly. Maybe 1 died? Can’t remember.

That number came directly from the July 29 CDC release. It said 15% of deaths, not 15% chance of dying.

Last edited:
Reactions: aler
In other words, you’re 8 times less likely to get delta and 25 times less likely to die or get hospitalized if vaccinated.
I don't dispute those numbers, just trying to get closer to a death rate. It's going to be very low.

The CDC says:

Please stop

Reactions: AUBK
In other words, you’re 8 times less likely to get delta and 25 times less likely to die or get hospitalized if vaccinated.
I think any Dr that works in a hospital or Covid unit will confirm that the vast majority of hospitalized patients are unvaccinated. Out of the 19 patients my wife saw Wednesday, 4 were fully vaccinated. None were exhibiting any symptoms, and two of them didn’t even know they had it. They were there for other reasons. My daughter has been getting her shadowing hours required for medical school. She had to get credentialed at the hospital. She worked the covid unit the other day. Then she shadowed a pulmonologist in the unit. Said it was horrible to see all of those people on vents. Looked like they weren't alive. They are sedated, proned, ventilated. She said listening through a stethoscope hearing them breath was a horrible sound with just the small amount that the vent was putting in. People should be able to see this and maybe it would change some minds.

Vaccine Effectiveness against hospitalizations is 88%.
Vaccine Effectiveness against symptomatic infection is 90%.

Does that mean if you've been vaccinated and get symptoms, you have a high chance of being hospitalized?

Vaccine Effectiveness against hospitalizations is 88%.
Vaccine Effectiveness against symptomatic infection is 90%.

Does that mean if you've been vaccinated and get symptoms, you have a high chance of being hospitalized?
Yea, vaccine effectiveness vs hospitalizations is higher than that.

I think any Dr that works in a hospital or Covid unit will confirm that the vast majority of hospitalized patients are unvaccinated. Out of the 19 patients my wife saw Wednesday, 4 were fully vaccinated. None were exhibiting any symptoms, and two of them didn’t even know they had it. They were there for other reasons. My daughter has been getting her shadowing hours required for medical school. She had to get credentialed at the hospital. She worked the covid unit the other day. Then she shadowed a pulmonologist in the unit. Said it was horrible to see all of those people on vents. Looked like they weren't alive. They are sedated, proned, ventilated. She said listening through a stethoscope hearing them breath was a horrible sound with just the small amount that the vent was putting in. People should be able to see this and maybe it would change some minds.
The Covid icu unit was extremely sad to see last fall. I would think it’s sadder to see at this time as most could’ve been avoided.

The cdc numbers never add up. I always wonder who puts them together
I went back and reread the paper because of your comments and I agreed with you. The 15% is not hospital deaths but total % of vaccinated people being admitted to the hospitals. That's a big difference. I stand corrected, thank you.

What percentage of Americans are hospitalized with COVID? If it's 1% or 90%, that certainly matters.

Reactions: The_Bag_Man
I went back and reread the paper because of your comments and I agreed with you. The 15% is not hospital deaths but total % of vaccinated people being admitted to the hospitals. That's a big difference. I stand corrected, thank you.
15% of vaxxed that test positive or 15% overall....bc that's another huge distinction

Shorts,

This graph is excellent but let me ask you this:

Isn’t it true that ALL folks will get the virus at some point?

I think some folks believe they can avoid getting it altogether and so your graph wouldn’t apply to them

If everyone understood that they will eventually get the virus they might be more receptive to getting the vaccine.?
Shit if I know man. I dont think “everyone” will get it. I mean, im 52 and have never had the flu, and the only flu vaccine i got was in 1990. Now, either ive dodged it for the last 32 years or thats one helluva shot!

Most of the vaccinated dying from Covid now are very elderly or have other problems that cause the vaccine to not work as well. 90% of the elderly have had a shot. I think it’s safe to say this group that the vaccine is less effective on has close to a 1% death rate. Booster shots are needed for the elderly now.
Most of those dying from covid from the start were elderly or had other problems. If you're not vaccinated or toting around antibodies from having covid, then the consequences are on you. Government needs to get out of the covid business - it's a matter for private businesses and individuals to do what they want.

Shorts,

This graph is excellent but let me ask you this:

Isn’t it true that ALL folks will get the virus at some point?

I think some folks believe they can avoid getting it altogether and so your graph wouldn’t apply to them

If everyone understood that they will eventually get the virus they might be more receptive to getting the vaccine.?
They don’t believe that. I’ve stated that for weeks. They will all get it. Each case infects 6 other people. The original variant was 2 other people. Now think about how little masking or social distancing is happening in highly vaccinated areas. The only ones that may not get it are ones in highly vaccinated areas and who work from home and don’t get out much. 99% of the population will be vaccinated by the vaccine or by the virus within the next year or two.

Reactions: StatsMatter
ADVERTISEMENT