ADVERTISEMENT

Could peak Covid be a good thing?

I don’t lack compassion for those falling ill, however the virus running its course with its high transmission could bring a more rapid end to the pandemic.
It definitely is. Everybody had enough time to get vaccinated. Let’s gets this shit over with.

Reactions: Big Blue
I don’t lack compassion for those falling ill, however the virus running its course with its high transmission could bring a more rapid end to the pandemic.

I think it will be at least late Spring before that happens. Alotta deaths and risks between theand now. Likely booster shots. Economy completely disrupted, shutdowns, business closings, higher prices, empty shelves.

I think it will be at least late Spring before that happens. Alotta deaths and risks between theand now. Likely booster shots. Economy completely disrupted, shutdowns, business closings, higher prices, empty shelves.
If I heard correctly, Jen Psaki said we won't be shutting down again. Then again, the guidance does change, but I don't think shutdown will happen again. Not like last year at least. There won't be a huge number of deaths either. Too many vaccinated and too much immunity.

The number of people with long haul damage are going to be a big problem that people are ignoring.

yes. shutdowns slowed the spread and increased mutation.

1 month is the world average

Don’t think it will take that long. I think this is the last major wave as Scott Gottlieb said. Delta is crazy and will vaccinate the hell out the unvaccinated nationwide. The next uptick won’t compare to the 4 surges imo BARRING SOME CRAZY VARIANT THAT EVADES THE VACCINES. Also, boosters will only be for older people this fall and winter imo. Some younger people might have that option but I think most will wait 2 years post-vaccination or longer. I’m hoping people are wondering wtf at thanksgiving because cases are so low. South Africa and the UK are seeing a drop in cases now. One is heavily vaccinated and one is barely vaccinated but delta still shows a decline.

Reactions: Jim in Scranton
Don’t think it will take that long. I think this is the last major wave as Scott Gottlieb said. Delta is crazy and will vaccinate the hell out the unvaccinated nationwide. The next uptick won’t compare to the 4 surges imo BARRING SOME CRAZY VARIANT THAT EVADES THE VACCINES. Also, boosters will only be for older people this fall and winter imo. Some younger people might have that option but I think most will wait 2 years post-vaccination or longer. I’m hoping people are wondering wtf at thanksgiving because cases are so low. South Africa and the UK are seeing a drop in cases now. One is heavily vaccinated and one is barely vaccinated but delta still shows a decline.

When it's done I'm partying like it's 1999 - back then all we was worried about was Bill Clinton diddling his intern and Y2K.

If it didn't give fertile ground for more (and possibly more virulent) variants to emerge, maybe you could see that as a silver lining. But between all the death, all the severe sickness and straining of our hospitals and their staff, plus the potential for more variants, it's hard to see it as a good thing.

When it's done I'm partying like it's 1999 - back then all we was worried about was Bill Clinton diddling his intern and Y2K.
I don’t think we have a moment like that. It will probably be gradual. If no delta and more vaccinations in 2021, we might have been there by now. I can’t imagine next summer won’t be great barring there isn’t a variant that evades the vaccine. Fda is taking too long on approval.

If it didn't give fertile ground for more (and possibly more virulent) variants to emerge, maybe you could see that as a silver lining. But between all the death, all the severe sickness and straining of our hospitals and their staff, plus the potential for more variants, it's hard to see it as a good thing.
That was always going to happen though with our vaccine hesitancy. The deaths will be much lower than the other surges imo.

I don’t think we have a moment like that. It will probably be gradual. If no delta and more vaccinations in 2021, we might have been there by now. I can’t imagine next summer won’t be great barring there isn’t a variant that evades the vaccine. Fda is taking too long on approval.
I worry about bad-ass variants.

Could be the midterm variant next summer.

I worry about bad-ass variants.
From what I’ve read, if it ever evades the vaccines then it’s not going to be a serious virus. It would have to weaken itself too much to evade vaccines.

We need to temper our expectations. We need to understand what we mean by its being “over.” Covid is now an endemic seasonal virus. We need to proceed with that in mind. We live with those all of the time. The point of the vaccine isn’t to eradicate Covid, but to make it “just like the flu.” We will have seasonal surges in cases, just like the flu.

Also, there are going to be variants. We are a long way off from vaccinating the whole world. To that end, I’d rather we in rich countries (including, but not limited to, the US) maintain a supply of vaccines that allows us to vax adults, but donate those we’d use for kids to vax adults in poorer countries.

We need to temper our expectations. We need to understand what we mean by its being “over.” Covid is now an endemic seasonal virus. We need to proceed with that in mind. We live with those all of the time. The point of the vaccine isn’t to eradicate Covid, but to make it “just like the flu.” We will have seasonal surges in cases, just like the flu.

Also, there are going to be variants. We are a long way off from vaccinating the whole world. To that end, I’d rather we in rich countries (including, but not limited to, the US) maintain a supply of vaccines that allows us to vax adults, but donate those we’d use for kids to vax adults in poorer countries.
Parents should have the right to make the decision to vaccinate their kids if it goes thru successful trials.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT