ADVERTISEMENT

Bunker's thoughts on the Chris Hodges situation?

AU925

WILL WADE SYMPATHIST
Nov 17, 2004
He's come under fire for "liking" tweets from Charlie Kirk, president of a conservative non-profit. Now Bham City Schools won't allow Hodges' church to use their facilities anymore (will cost Bham City Schools $288k).

One meme shared by Kirk featured a photo of Donald Trump standing alongside Muhammad Ali and Rosa Parks, with the caption, “The racist Donald Trump in the 1980s,” next to a photo of Democratic Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam in a photo of two men wearing blackface and a KKK costume in a 1984 yearbook photo for Eastern Virginia Medical School. The caption for the second photo was “Progressive Leftist Ralph Northam in the 1980s.”

Another screen shot showed Hodges liking a post about former President Barack Obama playing golf beneath a quote from Michelle Obama urging people to stay home except for essential activities. Another screen shot shows Hodges liking a photo of Kirk donating blood above the sentence, “We all must do our part to defeat China Virus.”

https://www.al.com/news/2020/06/bir...-authority-turns-away-free-covid-testing.html

* Of note, one of Hodges' associate pastors effected by the Bham City Schools decision is former Auburn LB Mayo Sowell.

Could care less. He knew that his church could be impacted and he did it anyway. And Birmingham City Schools can use whatever criteria they like for who associates with their students. Given what Hodges'actions indicate, I wouldn't want him around my African American students either

Could care less. He knew that his church could be impacted and he did it anyway. And Birmingham City Schools can use whatever criteria they like for who associates with their students. Given what Hodges'actions indicate, I wouldn't want him around my African American students either
I'm in no way defending Hodges or Church of the Highlands, they have a lot of religious issues IMO that aren't worthy of discussion here..but his "action" was clicking like on a tweet...that's it.

So because you disagree with him then you applaud him being band.?

Nice American attitude.

Tuff deel. Lotta DOC's fambly goes to that Church. I thank Birmingham iz making a mizztake. HIGHLANDS haz a TUN OF "JACK" and thay do a grate job SPREDDING THAT JACK AROUND to plazes that need it.
I've been to Highlands a coupla times and itz not my thang. I'm old and kan't ware skinny jeeenz, but I don't thank thare's a racist bone in that PASTOR'S body.

Isn't that sort of like saying the girl knew wearing that skirt would get her assaulted yet she did it anyway? At some point, the Overton Window will move so far that we are all outside of it.

Seriously? Have you ever attended a COTH campus or service, have you seen the make up of the people attending, more diverse than any church around in any city. His leadership is the same. You'd be fortunate to have a child of yours mentored by Chris Hodges or his leadership team. And to answer the responses, I am Baptist, attend a Baptist Church but also attend COTH.

Tuff deel. Lotta DOC's fambly goes to that Church. I thank Birmingham iz making a mizztake. HIGHLANDS haz a TUN OF "JACK" and thay do a grate job SPREDDING THAT JACK AROUND to plazes that need it.
I've been to Highlands a coupla times and itz not my thang. I'm old and kan't ware skinny jeeenz, but I don't thank thare's a racist bone in that PASTOR'S body.
giphy-downsized-medium.gif

He's come under fire for "liking" tweets from Charlie Kirk, president of a conservative non-profit. Now Bham City Schools won't allow Hodges' church to use their facilities anymore (will cost Bham City Schools $288k).

One meme shared by Kirk featured a photo of Donald Trump standing alongside Muhammad Ali and Rosa Parks, with the caption, “The racist Donald Trump in the 1980s,” next to a photo of Democratic Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam in a photo of two men wearing blackface and a KKK costume in a 1984 yearbook photo for Eastern Virginia Medical School. The caption for the second photo was “Progressive Leftist Ralph Northam in the 1980s.”

Another screen shot showed Hodges liking a post about former President Barack Obama playing golf beneath a quote from Michelle Obama urging people to stay home except for essential activities. Another screen shot shows Hodges liking a photo of Kirk donating blood above the sentence, “We all must do our part to defeat China Virus.”

https://www.al.com/news/2020/06/bir...-authority-turns-away-free-covid-testing.html

* Of note, one of Hodges' associate pastors effected by the Bham City Schools decision is former Auburn LB Mayo Sowell.
It's utter lunacy. It's stunning that decisions like that are being based on a social media "like".

He should have known better than to get into divisive ass politics on social media when his cult church is already associated with a municipality. This is on him.
Yeah I feel like any religious leader is playing with fire when it comes to taking political sides, regardless of the side. Taking a stance on certain topics is one thing, but when you get the actual political parties involved you're eventually going to have angry people from the other side.

Having said that I see this as poor decision by Bham. This is a lot of money they could use.

City of Bham loss! COTH has given so
much to the city and community. Ask Woodlawn area. COTH is a very diverse church. If you have listened to Chris Hodges preach - he preaches directly from the Bible. He made a mistake by liking a stupid tweet. Does that make him a racist if he disagrees with a political platform? Today I guess it does. This country and this media says they want open dialogue but that’s the big lie. If you say anything that does not agree with the leftist agenda you are immediately labeled a racist. I will stick up for Chris Hodges all day long. If you don’t agree with him you can refuse his message and all the support the COTH offers. Your loss.

Seriously? Have you ever attended a COTH campus or service, have you seen the make up of the people attending, more diverse than any church around in any city. His leadership is the same. You'd be fortunate to have a child of yours mentored by Chris Hodges or his leadership team. And to answer the responses, I am Baptist, attend a Baptist Church but also attend COTH.
I seem to remember Hodges and a former heroin addict who hosted jam sessions for teenagers in his basement. I then seem to remember said addict having illegal lights and using his honorary sheriff's deputy badge to pull people over and claiming confusion.

I hope this wasn't a serious response.

Yeah I feel like any religious leader is playing with fire when it comes to taking political sides, regardless of the side. Taking a stance on certain topics is one thing, but when you get the actual political parties involved you're eventually going to have angry people from the other side.

Having said that I see this as poor decision by Bham. This is a lot of money they could use.
As far as the money, if there's anything COTH has plenty of, it's that. Maybe they could just donate cash to the City's youth instead of having to be locked into an agreement?

I seem to remember Hodges and a former heroin addict who hosted jam sessions for teenagers in his basement. I then seem to remember said addict having illegal lights and using his honorary sheriff's deputy badge to pull people over and claiming confusion.
This is like attempting to link Tim Tebow to the Aaron Hernandez murders...

That was crazy!! Haven't thought about that one in awhile

The only impact to COTH is they will take their money elsewhere. I'm not a member, and don't fall in with they're "prosperity" vision of the bible. The times I have been to one of their branches for a service I have seen one of the most diverse congregations of any church I have ever been in. Cancel culture is a slippery slope, B'Ham schools decision to turn down thousands of dollars in outside income because a pastor "liked" a few of Charlie Kirk's tweets.... seems in the long run to be a massive over reaction. All of us have liked/laughed at/said something that looking back with time and maturity we might wish to take back. I would hope and wish that anyone judging me takes in the entirety of my life and not one or two moments of poor choice. Chris Hodges, agree with his biblical teachings or not, has used his congregation to give back to cities in Alabama and overseas on missions, than many of us could possibly imagine.

I bet $1 million that Bham wouldn't have backed out if it was Rev Al Sharpton and he liked a post by left wing FB page or Twitter accouint

As far as the money, if there's anything COTH has plenty of, it's that. Maybe they could just donate cash to the City's youth instead of having to be locked into an agreement?

I would probably used to support corrupt politicians or their causes.

The only impact to COTH is they will take their money elsewhere. I'm not a member, and don't fall in with they're "prosperity" vision of the bible. The times I have been to one of their branches for a service I have seen one of the most diverse congregations of any church I have ever been in. Cancel culture is a slippery slope, B'Ham schools decision to turn down thousands of dollars in outside income because a pastor "liked" a few of Charlie Kirk's tweets.... seems in the long run to be a massive over reaction. All of us have liked/laughed at/said something that looking back with time and maturity we might wish to take back. I would hope and wish that anyone judging me takes in the entirety of my life and not one or two moments of poor choice. Chris Hodges, agree with his biblical teachings or not, has used his congregation to give back to cities in Alabama and overseas on missions, than many of us could possibly imagine.
I'm not a member of COTH but my daughter goes there and I've visited quite a few times and even joined some of the online services during COVID. The worship style is a little too contemporary for me but I've not picked up any vibe that they had any lean toward a "prosperity" vision of the bible at all.

This is like attempting to link Tim Tebow to the Aaron Hernandez murders...
Um, no. Tim Tebow didn't sign Aaron Hernandez. They were both employed by Robert Kraft. Hodges and Matt Pitt collaborated. It's a perfectly applicable analogy. Chris Hodges and his church are prosperity gospel weirdos, and the fact Hodges saw Matt Pitt's behavior and was like "yeah this guy seems like exactly who should be mentoring young people," tells me everything I need to know.

And this is the mentality of the masses we see on TV rioting. Was Chris Hodges with the guy pulled over with the light, no, did he do drugs with him, no. Our own Auburn football team has a bad apple every now and then, does that make all 120 players, coaches and support personnel bad, no. Your reasoning is weak and flawed.

He "knew" his church would be impacted....for Wrongthink. How doubleplus ungood

Reactions: Random Sidewalk Fan
Um, no. Tim Tebow didn't sign Aaron Hernandez. They were both employed by Robert Kraft. Hodges and Matt Pitt collaborated. It's a perfectly applicable analogy. Chris Hodges and his church are prosperity gospel weirdos, and the fact Hodges saw Matt Pitt's behavior and was like "yeah this guy seems like exactly who should be mentoring young people," tells me everything I need to know.
Do you have examples of the Prosperity gospel being preached at the COTH? Not a member but been quite a few times and I've seen zero inclination that that is something they promote.

Ill take it further. No church should EVER be allowed to hold services at *public* schools. And further, no church should ever be used as a polling place. Find somewhere else to hold your cult meetings and to have people vote.

Reactions: Bug1969
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT