ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS BUNKER BONUS: Bruce Pearl on TIGER TALK (8-19-24)

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
Bruce jokes that he's going LAST on the show tonight because Nick Clinard won a natty earlier this season.

NOT ANDY asks if BP has ever dunked a basketball. Bruce says no, but adds that he has dunked on an 8-foot rim. GUFFAWS ALL AROUND

ANDY asks about BP being a new granddaddy soon with Steven and Brittany pregnant. He thinks she'll be a volleyball player someday.

DALE is in the house. He wants to commend BP for his recruiting and being of high character. No question asked. BP then promotes Dale's HVAC program. "Does anyone else want to ask a question? I'll promote your business." GUFFAWS ALL AROUND

NOT ANDY asks about Dylan being back. BP says it's good that players don't want to leave because they LOVE being at Auburn University. "We're able to minister them. We're able to pray before meals. We do some things that maybe other public institutions can't." He also implores people to NOT judge the kids for chasing more NIL money because that's the reality of the world today.

****COMMERCIAL BREAK****

"The good news is that we're good. The bad news is that there will be nine SEC teams in the Top 30. The 31st-best team in the country will finish 10th in our league. The bar has been raised."

"Really, truly the issue will be at point guard. JP will be out there. Will he start? He should. I don't put that stuff out there too soon. The other candidates at that position, believe it or not, is Denver Jones. It's really hard to be a scoring guard and a point guard. The third option could be Tahaad Pettiford. He's fun to watch. As a freshman, I think he'll be better just scoring. My guess is that it will be JP and Denver."

He refers to Miles Kelly as "a deadeye shooter."

He says Jakhi Howard will be a pro — in time.

"I like my roster. I think we've got 12 guys who can compete at this level. At age 64, you don't buy green bananas. I've got 10 seniors. I'm not worrying about next year right now. I'll worry about next year ... next year."

"We've worked so hard ... to be a Top 20 program. You have to play that schedule. If we want to be a Top 10 program, we have to schedule like it."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.