ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS Bruce Pearl quick notes

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
Says the goal is to not play on the first day of the SEC Tournament. Gonna be a stretch.

On LSU: "They run good stuff."

"Our defense has not been something we've been able to count on — certainly not in league play."

On if they'll take a CBI bid: "I haven't had that conversation. I know they have contacted us. That's been a pretty good tournament the last several years and it's something we'd look at."

"Our goal has been to get into the postseason. We haven't been able to get there during our first two years. It's something that I thought was a realistic goal."

Austin Wiley is good to go for LSU.

He misses having Horace Spencer available for this game. He was good against LSU last time — 10 points, seven rebounds, three blocks. "We miss him."

On Danjel's defense. "On the perimeter, he's defended pretty well. He's challenged on the inside because he's a 3 playing 4. There are certain nights when our power forwards are all going to be really challenged. I think, if Horace had stayed healthy, there's a chance Danjel would have played some 3 and 4."

He notes that Desean Murray and Chuma Okeke are more natural 4s.

He says "I've got a great locker room."

On the defensive issues: "The speed, the physicality, the amount of effort, energy and focus ... they've never had to play that way (on defense) and have to go play on offense as well."

On the PGs: "We didn't play fast enough against us. We didn't attack it in transition. Then you have to get organized. Spacing is everything when it comes to attacking a zone. Our point guards needed to get us more organized. We didn't execute it as well."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.