ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Recruiting/2017-2018 Roster- Will Auburn look at adding Austin Nichols possibly?

JB0401

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 13, 2016
Curious as to what Bruce is going to do with potentially 2 roster spots that will be open for next year. 13 total scholarship players and we currently have 12 (11 if Waddell isn’t on one):

PG: Harper/Davion Mitchell
SG/SF: Mustapha Heron, Bryce Brown, TJ Lang, DeSean Murray*
PF: Danjel Purifoy, Chuma Okeke, Horace Spencer
C: Austin Wiley, McLemore

*DeSean Murray is the transfer from Presbyterian
**Murray could play SF or PF, Purifoy could play SF or PF, Spencer could play PF or C, Davion Mitchell could play PG or SG.

So we have 2 open roster spots if not counting Waddell, potentially 3 if we have a guy transfer out (maybe Lang). What do we do with those 2 open roster spots? I’ll say a true PF and another wing player

I definitely think we go out and get a true PF man via Grad Transfer market and let Danjel play more SF than PF. I just think we need a more defensive minded PF that has more variety on the offensive end. Purifoy is too much of a shooter to play PF; he has shot more threes than twos the past 9 games and as Poke alluded to earlier this week, he’s 4-22 from 2pt range his last 9 games. And he’s terrible on defense.

The most talented true PF on the GT market right now? Austin Nichols (former 5 star that has played at Memphis and Virginia). If Bruce could get him to come to Auburn, he would make a huge difference on our team next year defensively and a better offensive game to fit our team. Problem is Nichols having a lot of personal issues and rumors of not playing college basketball again.

Talented team again next year, but still could possibly be some missing pieces next year from reaching our potential.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.