ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn Football: Regression Happens in Year 1 of a Culture Change

jhead34382

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Jun 10, 2007
Well Bunk, I said it on the Brain Drain with @Jay G. Tate the other night, and I’ll reiterate it again in this post, what happened on the field on Saturday was a disaster but is not uncommon when you are rebuilding the DNA of a program in year one. In year 1 of some of the most successful coaches in the games tenure at their new school all had games like this where their teams fail to respond to the expectations of their HC. Saban lost to La Monroe, Kirby lost to Vanderbilt, and Jimbo lost to us (in an epic meltdown) in year 1 while rebuilding the mindset and talent level into what they need it to be to win at a consistent level. I’m not saying we should be happy about what happened, and I assure you the coaches and players are more hurt than we are, but this kind of game happens with culture and philosophical change.

Getting back to work and beating South Carolina this week matters, showing resolve and buy in matters, but most importantly the attrition of those players who have not bought in and the addition of more talent is what really matters more than anything moving forward. There are some talented HS and Juco players available that we can get and we badly need to close out this class by landing them. Leveraging the portal for additional impact players will be equally important, but building our base of talented multi year players is the foundation of any winning organization. Now is the time to close on the recruiting trail, and that’s what I’m watching more than anything these next 4 weeks.

Parting words for those that care, support our coach and team. Stop with the we would have been better off with Gus or Kevin Steele nonsense and realize that while Saturday certainly was not acceptable by anyone’s standard, that it happens and is part of the ugly process of rebuilding our DNA into something successful long term. Remember the most growth you will ever experience in life comes through failure, not success, as it’s the failures that motivate you adapt and overcome. So please get back on the bandwagon and support this team and coach! Have a great week Bunk and WDE!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News