ADVERTISEMENT

AU Football is a rollercoaster, but the last 5 years have been an anomaly

AuburnAlumni

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 8, 2006
At least in my 46 years on this planet.

Coach Dye was leading us to multiple SEC Titles while I was in grade school
We had the 2 subpar years in 91 and 92 with the Eric Ramsay stuff and Coach Dye resigning, but then we followed that up with 1 loss in the next 2 seasons with Terry's first 2 years.
We have the 98 debacle and that losing season, followed up with an SEC Title game appearance with Rudi and Ben in 2000
We have the 2003 debacle..but we immediately follow that up with an undefeated season in 2004
We have 2008 happen with Tubs out, and 2 years later we're National Champs in 2010.
We have the 2012 debacle with Chiz out...and then we win the SEC and go back to the National Title in 2013
We have crap seasons in 2015 and 2016, then go back to the SEC Title game in 2017

Outside of the last 5 years, we never really had more than 1-2 "bad" seasons that were then followed up with at least one really nice run, etc. Multiple times we've gone from terrible to phenomenal in the span of 1 or 2 seasons.

Hugh is recruiting lights out, but I think part of the frustration right now is the fact that it's been so long in relative terms for Auburn fans since we've had a truly top flight season. We don't usually go this long without one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.