ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS AU coaches discuss Pat Summitt

Jay G. Tate

IT'S A TRAP!
Staff
Jan 17, 2003
Montgomery, Ala.
BRUCE PEARL, coached at Tennessee alongside Summitt:
"Pat Summitt saw things in people that they did not see in themselves. Pat Summitt never apologized to any one of her players for expecting the most out of them, demanding it and getting it. She was a great friend. She was as loyal as they came. If you were a friend of Pat Summitt's, she was always there for you. She was a great mother. But she had the ability to get the most out of her ladies as much as anybody. She was the most accomplished person in her field and the humblest woman I knew. She was the best at what she did. She was always reading, writing, asking questions, watching tapes, watching the Olympics, watching European basketball trying to stay on the cutting edge, always trying to get better. She created a brand called the Lady Vols. Enough said. You say Lady Vol, and Pat created a brand that said it all.”

JOE CIAMPI, coached against Summitt for 25 years:
“Pat Summitt is without a doubt the most iconic and important figure in the history of women’s basketball. Pat set the benchmark for all coaches to attain because of her passion and desire to win on and off the court. Her work ethic challenged each of us as coaches to improve each day by working harder and smarter. Pat’s competitive spirit, attention to detail with her trademark defense, and her ability to motivate each player to play their role and trust their teammate was her formula for championships. I lost a friend today, but know Pat’s spirit will live forever within me and the countless people she impacted during her lifetime.”

TERRI WILLIAMS-FLOURNOY, Auburn women's coach:
"Pat Summitt is the reason our game is where it is today. She was the coach that everyone in our game aspires to be. But more importantly, she was the person that we all should aspire to be. Pat was a fierce competitor on the court and a strong, caring, compassionate woman off the court. Her desire to win with defense was an inspiration to my coaching philosophy. And her demand for excellence carried over to the classroom - her 100% graduation rate is a testament to her refusal to accept anything less than the best from her players. On behalf of the Auburn women’s basketball family, I extend my heartfelt condolences, sympathies and prayers to the Summitts and the Lady Vol family. There will never be another like Pat Summitt.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News