ADVERTISEMENT

Atl police chief resigned for the wrong reason

wareagleone

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 11, 2004
North Pole
IMO, the shooting was sad but justified. From what we know now. But allowing the protesters onto the interstate should have gotten the chief fired on the spot. She should not have been allowed to resign. My next I'm tried of this BS thought is, stopping interstate commerce should bring in a Federal response. Protest all you want but stopping interstate commerce should get you put in federal jail. Do not pass go...go directly to jail.

But Ms. Bottoms wants to be VP, so that will never happen.

IMO, the shooting was sad but justified. From what we know now. But allowing the protesters onto the interstate should have gotten the chief fired on the spot. She should not have been allowed to resign. My next I'm tried of this BS thought is, stopping interstate commerce should bring in a Federal response. Protest all you want but stopping interstate commerce should get you put in federal jail. Do not pass go...go directly to jail.

Has she actually stated why she resigned her post? I thought it was in protest to the Mayors deplorable behavior.

Reactions: kenews

Not sure it’s justified. Why? If a burglar flees my home and I shoot him in the street, I’m probably getting charged with something bad. Is that right? (I honestly don’t know.)

To be honest she does have a nice bottom. If you are into that sort of thing.
giphy.gif

Not sure it’s justified. Why? If a burglar flees my home and I shoot him in the street, I’m probably getting charged with something bad. Is that right? (I honestly don’t know.)
If the burglar runs out your front door and turns to shoot you with a taser from a few feet away you can shoot them.

This is in no why justification of what the officer in ATL did...at a time when this is such a sensitive issue that shouldn’t happen. In hindsight letting the dude run away and catching him later would have been smarter. But, officers are trained to shoot someone who has been physically violent and then points a weapon at him. In this case that training took over.

The inmates are running the asylum now. America is lost. We definitely aren’t the United States anymore...just States of wackjobs.

Not even close to the same thing. It is not your job to keep the drunk driver or anyone else off of the street. The police are fine in this instance legally, if not morally, because they are allowed to use force to stop dangerous individuals. We give them that right so it is not left up to us.

If the burglar runs out your front door and turns to shoot you with a taser from a few feet away you can shoot them.

This is in no why justification of what the officer in ATL did...at a time when this is such a sensitive issue that shouldn’t happen. In hindsight letting the dude run away and catching him later would have been smarter. But, officers are trained to shoot someone who has been physically violent and then points a weapon at him. In this case that training took over.
I thank weeer about to go through a big “ KATCH THE LATER” phase. Weeev got video of the bad guys on the BODY CAMS. So instead of killing them, we’ll juzt let them run and try to arrest them da nekkkzt day.

Has she actually stated why she resigned her post? I thought it was in protest to the Mayors deplorable behavior.
Her brief press conference seems like one who was asked to step down. She said it was to let the city healing begin. If I had to guess she was with the wait and see crowd before charging and the mayor said if you are not with me resign. I really do not think the Mayor is doing a great job because I think she sees VP and is trying to make statements and not take care of their city. I do agree the comments and suggestion to fire, she can't do that, were extremely poorly advised. Hopefully it will be calm tonight but I doubt it.

You aren't obligated to chase a burglar and you have no duty to protect the public. You can run away or just let them go. The police can't run away. They were obligated to chase that guy. The violent criminal was the one who escalated. He escalated when he committed felony assault, and he escalated when he pointed a gun-shaped object at the police.

No relevant elements of the things that actually happened were anything like the elements in yore analogy.

The pendulum will swing back. Unfortunately at this point it will take one of the bad guys to commit a heinous crime after the cops ‘catch and release’ them. Maybe a tranquilizer gun could be the answer? Idk
I’m serprized COPS don’t juzt shooot the bad guys in the knee. If I’m a Poe leeeeece chief I’m telllin ERRY cop I got———“SHOOOT THEEEZE FUKKKERS IN THE KNEEE!!!”

Reactions: Ruxy Poo
You aren't obligated to chase a burglar and you have no duty to protect the public. You can run away or just let them go. The police can't run away. They were obligated to chase that guy. The violent criminal was the one who escalated. He escalated when he committed felony assault, and he escalated when he pointed a gun-shaped object at the police.

No relevant elements of the things that actually happened were anything like the elements in yore analogy.

That was so much more eloquently written than what others had replied. The thing most are not realizing is the man controlled the violence level in the incident from the start.

I’m here to tell you that I will chase a burglar. If you fault me for that, well, that’s between you and you. I’m surprised that you’d be so passive about someone wanting your home without permission!

I’m here to tell you that I will chase a burglar. If you fault me for that, well, that’s between you and you. I’m surprised that you’d be so passive about someone wanting your home without permission!
Might I suggest letting him go once he is outside your house. You will be putting you and your family in danger for something that is over. You have no idea what is waiting for you outside and what possible weapons are outside. Your family needs you to much to worry about a stupid criminal.

Reactions: audeuce02 and 94WDE
I’m here to tell you that I will chase a burglar. If you fault me for that, well, that’s between you and you.
Chase him if you want. That doesn't speak to whether or not the police were justified.

I’m surprised the guy didn’t just take the DUI but he was selfish and caused all of this. Idk who in the world would want to be a cop rn
COPS got a tufff gig! Thay git shit on all day and than are suppozed to be patient wit folks dat jump them!

Reactions: Ruxy Poo
I still can not figure out what changed. He was willing to get cuffed and everything was going great and he flipped.
He took a nap while he was .108 drunk, in a drive through lane.

That guy is no stranger to bad decision making.

He took a nap while he was .108 drunk, in a drive through lane.

That guy is no stranger to bad decision making.
This night he was not. Hopefully he wasn't before this but I am doubting it. You do not need to die for a DUI, even though you are endangering other lives. but I think the history of the criminal and cops need to be brought out in these cases. Can't really determine the root causes if we are going to be lying about one side or another being an angel.

I thank weeer about to go through a big “ KATCH THE LATER” phase. Weeev got video of the bad guys on the BODY CAMS. So instead of killing them, we’ll juzt let them run and try to arrest them da nekkkzt day.
What happens if they let him go and he goes and kills someone?

Their job is to stop the criminal.

Reactions: Docdumpsta
What happens if they let him go and he goes and kills someone?

Their job is to stop the criminal.
Totally undastand CAT DADDY!!!!
But I forgot thay keeep killling folks, we all gunna be in TRUBBBA!!!

Reactions: vanceme

Very simple and clear to me. I’ve said time and again that what I want to see is for law enforcement to be held to the same standard as untrained civilians. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Very simple and clear to me. I’ve said time and again that what I want to see is for law enforcement to be held to the same standard as untrained civilians. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Except they can't be the same as civilians or you have to get rid of them. There job is to apprehend the guys like Brooks who is a danger to himself and others. That is not our job. If we are going to hold them to the same standard as us, all of the people filming would be punished for not getting the criminal off the street.

We can change the rules we have for engagement but until we do they are being held accountable. If there actions are unreasonable for the task they can be charged criminally or fired if it is not a crime. The decision we have to make is are we ready to police ourselves and after watching the man resist arrest and every cheer him on, I would say not.

Except they can't be the same as civilians or you have to get rid of them. There job is to apprehend the guys like Brooks who is a danger to himself and others. That is not our job. If we are going to hold them to the same standard as us, all of the people filming would be punished for not getting the criminal off the street.

We can change the rules we have for engagement but until we do they are being held accountable. If there actions are unreasonable for the task they can be charged criminally or fired if it is not a crime. The decision we have to make is are we ready to police ourselves and after watching the man resist arrest and every cheer him on, I would say not.
My job is not to apprehend him, true, but why would:should LE be operating under a different set of laws?

We often legally excuse police conduct because it was a difficult situation or things happened fast. But we don’t excuse civilian conduct in similar scenarios even though they have vastly less training in high pressure situations. It would be like holding surgeons to a lower standard of care when dressing a wound than me or you. If I mess up helping someone to dress a wound and they get an infection and die, I am probably ok. If a surgeon does that, they probably aren’t. That makes sense.

The big difference, of course, is that surgeons are paid WAAAY more than cops and get WAAAY more training. Cops aren’t trained well enough or paid well enough to have such high expectations given that they are put their lives into danger. And maybe it isn’t fair to expect it. But ultimately that should be the expectation when dealing with use of deadly force by the government. As you said, holding them accountable is important. And, again, holding them to closely accountable given their pay and risk factor really sucks. Just another reason we need to rethink policing.

My job is not to apprehend him, true, but why would:should LE be operating under a different set of laws?
They are not under a different set of laws they just have to do things that we are not allowed to do. This is what the qualified immunity law comes into play, and a lot want that changed, that says they can have a limited immunity from civil suits if they are reasonably performing their job. It is like a judge being able to put somebody in jail for a crime. We can't do that but we give him the right to carry out our laws.

This case will be determined if he was using reasonable tactics to carry out his job. His job is to protect us from the drunk driver who is behaving dangerously. You can take on his responsibility if you want, but you will be under the same rules he is. You will have to prove you are reasonably trying to stop him from committing a crime. Thing is right now you are not required to do that and you are. The idiots that killed the young man in their neighborhood could get off it is reasonably determined that they were stopping the kid from committing a crime. That one will not fly in my opinion but they will try.

We often legally excuse police conduct because it was a difficult situation or things happened fast. But we don’t excuse civilian conduct in similar scenarios even though they have vastly less training in high pressure situations. It would be like holding surgeons to a lower standard of care when dressing a wound than me or you. If I mess up helping someone to dress a wound and they get an infection and die, I am probably ok. If a surgeon does that, they probably aren’t. That makes sense.

The big difference, of course, is that surgeons are paid WAAAY more than cops and get WAAAY more training. Cops aren’t trained well enough or paid well enough to have such high expectations given that they are put their lives into danger. And maybe it isn’t fair to expect it. But ultimately that should be the expectation when dealing with use of deadly force by the government. As you said, holding them accountable is important. And, again, holding them to closely accountable given their pay and risk factor really sucks. Just another reason we need to rethink policing.

Having been in the military and now teaching and coaching I can tell you I do not want a surgeon making those types of life and death decisions that the police do. It is a different breed altogether because of the confrontational nature of the actions.

They do not want to let you do their job. You are the enemy. No matter how much you pay them they will still be the enemy, they are not there to save your life they are there to destroy it. When you call the police to a rescue event the same people are like best friends. I am really against the using of lethal force but it does happen. What we have got to figure out is how to get these criminals to give up without the fight.

Reactions: MattAU05
Was this guy at the Wendy’s a murder risk? I haven’t been watching the news at all ...

He was not. He was a drunk idiot who tried to run away from the cops like many drunk idiots before him. He definitely deserved to be arrested and pick up some more charges after he resisted. But they already had all his info. If he runs, they even could’ve tracked him down later.

Was this guy at the Wendy’s a murder risk? I haven’t been watching the news at all ...
That is kind of the point , we don't know what he was going to do next. We do know that he was willing to go off physically on some cops, steal their tazer while roughing them up, run away and then point the tazer at them. Doesn't really sound safe to me.

I have a few friends that are police in this area that have all said they were trained to use lethal force to save their lives and those of the citizens around them in a situation like that one. I mean the guy literally tried to incapacity one with a stun gun. Can you imagine the video of the criminal then taking his gun and executing the cop with it while he lays their unable to move?

Reactions: audeuce02
He was not. He was a drunk idiot who tried to run away from the cops like many drunk idiots before him. He definitely deserved to be arrested and pick up some more charges after he resisted. But they already had all his info. If he runs, they even could’ve tracked him down later.
You are stating your opinion as fact.

Reactions: audeuce02
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT