ADVERTISEMENT

Any contractors / structural engineers on here?

judgefudge101

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
Question that I’m hoping someone can help me out. I’ve got a 1920 house that we’re doing some work on before getting it to market. We have a wall between what’s considered the dining room and kitchen. We also believe that the kitchen is an extension and the wall I’m referring to was originally the exterior wall. In the attic, there are (what I believe to be) the original roof rafters that come down on top of that wall. I assume I can’t remove these, as I believe they’re aiding in holding up the new portion of the roof that’s part of the kitchen extension. If we wanted to cut into this wall (either a substantial amount to create an L shaped island or just a window for a breakfast bar type thing) how would I temporarily (or permanently) support these rafters for me to cut the studs out and add a header in the wall?

Old rafters I’m referring to
lKHsz1u_d.webp

HoWdyK0.jpeg

Opposite and upwards angle where I believe these are aiding in support
AnskkoL_d.webp

gLUVyD7_d.webp

EBKRgAb_d.webp

Ceiling joists run parallel to the wall, so it’s not structural for holding up the joists, but I believe it’s load bearing for part of the old roof that’s assisting in support for the new roof

Under-Construction-Sexy-Construction-Worker-Costume_be29eee7-4390-4111-9a43-e30da49a72ad.2ef0bfedea6639336209cbb02d52f25e.jpeg

Reactions: Brew83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.