ADVERTISEMENT

Alarming stat regarding viewership of college hoops....

auburnma

First Round Draft Pick
Jul 10, 2003
Heard on Cowherd today that the Conference Tourneys and Selection Show were down 40% from 4 years ago. This was surprising on several levels, but I actually agree with this trend. The micromanaged, over coached brand of hoops that is in college is nauseating to watch. Virginia is one of the best teams in the country and watching their games is about like watching paint dry.

The games aren't free flowing like they should be and in my view, it's a direct result of the one and done kids. Some programs, most actually, don't have the resources or brand to pull a one and done, so how do you offset that? With micromanaging ever possession and trying to get into a chess match with your opponent.

It was much better when kids stayed for 2-4 years regularly and then you got a chance to build programs with skill rather than gamesmanship.

The AAU culture is a HUGE problem as well. It is the goal of those kids to get in front of Callipari or Coach K or whomever and get a good offer and play a year before bolting for the NBA. They don't learn the competitive side of it until they're 18-19. This has taken a wrecking ball to the product in college. Just my .02.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News