ADVERTISEMENT

Actual Data Showing Trends of People Shot to Death by da Police

"rational discussion about race" also involves the race that commits a good majority of crime, statistically speaking, is going to have more encounters with the police...why are you avoiding that context?
Take a look at Montgomery, with a black mayor and a black DA...guess who commits the majority of the crime there? Blacks
https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.co...ngs-fbi-says-than-police-reported/3841565002/

you are the one avoiding context you moron

i haven't argued against the factual numbers one time ITT...

you won't find me arguing that not resisting makes it easier to not get killed. it applies to all the races though not just black people. i'd assume the whites who got killed also resisted.
I would say most who got killed did resist, some got killed and didn't resist. The woman from Australia for instance was killed by a cop of Somalia decent in the United States and she didn't commit a crime. The cop was trigger happy and likely killed her because he was spooked. Shouldn't ever be a cop if you can't handle situations like this the right way.

If you change the races around in the scenario, there would be riots claiming racism caused the killing. Why is one situation considered racism and the other not? It seems to me that there is becoming a notion that only one form of racism exist: White against black. In reality, there are still many forms of racism that exist and it's all wrong.

We have an overall issue with police brutality and in my opinion black people are often discriminated against by the police when they shouldn't be. It's wrong and it needs to be changed. Does that mean systematic racism exist? I don't know. Racism certainly still exist and it doesn't need to. I know that for certain. We all can be better and need to be better in the name of loving our brothers and sisters regardless of skin color.

These numbers are true and they do seem to be counter to the current narrative but relying on these numbers has a huge flaw. Using these numbers to counter the argument of racial injustice would only work if the outcome of racism is always death.
Just because a person isn’t shot to death by the police, doesn’t mean that person wasn’t treated differently (Poorly) because of his skin color or pre conceived ideas.
This is where the problem lies for solutions. If we are going to look at police interactions we need to determine exactly what we are looking at. An armed robbery suspect will be treated differently than a traffic stop.

So if you just break down the traffic stops for speeding we then have a ton of problems with that data. Race, sex, location, time, speed, traffic, monthly quota time. Then once we try to make those variables the same we get down to individual behavior. I would suggest that females can be the most obnoxious people during a traffic stop because they are just brutal sometimes. Anyway I digress. The problem is we focus on race and not the specific action and then it all falls apart because we can not account for all the variables.

I think if we are going to talk about policing injustices we need to have clear discipline steps for the community and police for misbehavior. I do not see any type of continuity of what the guidelines are going to be. It would be like in my classroom having some rules for interaction behavior but I change it and the discipline applied daily. This happens all the time in education because we leave discipline up to the individuals without specific guidelines.

you are the one avoiding context you moron
Sigh ok I'm going to be rational one more time in hopes that you get it.
Population doesn't matter in the context of police shootings(there a many people of both races that are never involved with police, so that's irrevelant)...what matters are the interactions each race has with police(crime rate and/or 911 calls) vs police shootings. Do you understand why that makes sense? Your argument is basically under the assumption that the entire population both black and white will have an encounter with the police, that's not factual (now you could also go into the context of unlawful stops based on race, that would be another good data point used in this discussion)

Population doesn't matter in the context of police shootings(there a many people of both races that are never involved with police, so that's irrevelant)...what matters are the interactions each race has with police(crime rate and/or 911 calls) vs police shootings. Do you understand why that makes sense?

do you understand there are a multitude of reasons behind why certain races would have more interactions with police?

or does your dumbass brain think some people are just born that way? this kid will have more interactions with police than this kid

what a response...so you think because black people report crime we should ignore why the people they are reporting are committing the crimes?

you can't see the forest b/c of the trees. you will continue getting likes from rice with this type of thought process

I didn't say that or even suggest that...

Im saying that the insinuation that I am getting from you is/was that police are unjustly targeting black communities. But my opinion/experience/evidence would suggest that police respond to areas where crime is committed. The people/area that is reporting is generally the same race as the person who is committing the crime.

White population in America: roughly 246,000,000

Black population in America: roughly 44,000,000

chance of being killed just according to the stats is much higher for black people

in order for it to be equal there would have to be about 5.5 times more white people killed than black people...
That’s fake news and you know it. Want to see a fun number look at Asians they rarely have any trouble with cops. Much less than whites. It’s culturally unacceptable to mouth off to a cop. Happens but rarely nor do they loot or protest. They of course were once enslaved in America

do you understand there are a multitude of reasons behind why certain races would have more interactions with police?

or does your dumbass brain think some people are just born that way? this kid will have more interactions with police than this kid
No one is born that way, it’s taught for all of us

Reactions: tigers3014
Of course, again using population in your denominator here infers EVERY person black and white will have an encounter with the police, that's a false premise.

Reactions: RT
I didn't say that or even suggest that...

Im saying that the insinuation that I am getting from you is/was that police are unjustly targeting black communities. But my opinion/experience/evidence would suggest that police respond to areas where crime is committed. The people/area that is reporting is generally the same race as the person who is committing the crime.

i don't think that to be the case.

There are immigrants that come to this country with nothing and start successful business. There are also blacks that have been here, been provided a free education, and shit never changes. If there is a system that keeps them down, then it’s the public welfare provided so they don’t have to work.
It's not public welfare, it's a system that makes it very hard to break the cycle of poverty. And it's unfair to say it's self-inflicted and it's not just a black issue. Poor whites, poor hispanics, poor asians all have a hard time breaking the cycle of poverty. But I don't believe it's systemic racism because that implies racist policies and I don't think racist policies drive the cycle. If anything, class and corporatism, maybe.

This would be where it's important for black leaders to encourage black men and women to pursue jobs on their local police forces and to run for more offices. I think you're right here. I think life as a black person, especially a man is tougher when dealing with police. I think voting is the answer, not rioting. I think peaceful protest is a great response. I think shutting down the street harassing innocent bystanders is counterproductive. I respect the plight, and I'm willing to help. Not when it becomes an avenue to disrupt and destroy though. These incidents are being used as a reason to agitate, and I'm not on board with that. I'm fully capable of empathizing without being agitated, disrupted, attacked or admonished.
I couldn’t agree more that looting/rioting is counter productive, but that leads us back to the point that there is a group of people on the extreme edges of the left and right that gain their power from the anger of others. Anarchists involve themselves in otherwise peaceful protests and theres absolutely nothing those being peaceful can do about it.

the issue here is, imo, that we can’t throw the baby out with the bath water. We can’t turn our backs on the entire issue because of a relatively small percentage of idiots, whether they be white or black. Just like we can’t view every police officer through the lens of the worst among them.
The difference with the police is, unlike weathermen or sign makers, 90% good, isn’t good enough for a group to which we swear in and hand a weapon to protect the public. Its a thankless job. It can be a dangerous job. It’s a job that carries a lot of responsibility and it’s not a job for many people, but if the job they choose, it has to be better. They have to police themselves instead of circling the wagons.

Last edited:
Wasn’t the case until after the 60s
you can fvck right off if you think that's what i'm saying

trying to have a rational conversation about race seems to make you guys totally uncomfortable b/c yall are defensive as hell
You were doing good and trying to have an honest conversation don’t go off the rails. I am listening

Reactions: tigers3014
But you'd expect that ... whites are more than half the population, blacks just 13%. Blacks are killed by police 3x as many per capita. What's interesting is that the police related deaths don't correlate at all to violent crime rates, one of the reasons people offer for higher black death rates at the hands of police. And this isn't a big city problem...and racial makeup of the cities doesn't incline one to more or less police related deaths of any type.
According to the numbers I heard on 538 podcast, police killings have gone down by about 30% in the 30 largest cities in America since they started tracking the data in 2015. Largely due to policy changes within departments around de-escalation and higher levels of training for officers in those cities.

OP dropping this thread then bailing out
tenor.gif

After the 6th or 7th time of folks putting words in my mouth I got a little annoyed.
I will try not to do that. I am as guilty as any of being stubborn but I do listen. We can both agree that the inner cities are a disgrace, we may differ on how to correct. I live in an incredibly racially diverse neighborhood, we all manage to get along, I think outside of cities race is a much lessor problem

This is where the problem lies for solutions. If we are going to look at police interactions we need to determine exactly what we are looking at. An armed robbery suspect will be treated differently than a traffic stop.

So if you just break down the traffic stops for speeding we then have a ton of problems with that data. Race, sex, location, time, speed, traffic, monthly quota time. Then once we try to make those variables the same we get down to individual behavior. I would suggest that females can be the most obnoxious people during a traffic stop because they are just brutal sometimes. Anyway I digress. The problem is we focus on race and not the specific action and then it all falls apart because we can not account for all the variables.

I think if we are going to talk about policing injustices we need to have clear discipline steps for the community and police for misbehavior. I do not see any type of continuity of what the guidelines are going to be. It would be like in my classroom having some rules for interaction behavior but I change it and the discipline applied daily. This happens all the time in education because we leave discipline up to the individuals without specific guidelines.

I read this whole post. It was good. Thanks for the paragraphs.

This movement is just saying that there are underlying things in life that are disproportionate against those of color, and the statistics back that up. its not all about police brutality.
Are you referring to the fact that almost 75% of African Americans are now born out of wedlock and don't have a father figure in the house? If you are, you are correct. I loved and feared my Dad. They don't have that opportunity so their decision making does not involve fear. That is the problem.

Population doesn't matter in the context of police shootings(there a many people of both races that are never involved with police, so that's irrevelant)...what matters are the interactions each race has with police(crime rate and/or 911 calls) vs police shootings. Do you understand why that makes sense? Your argument is basically under the assumption that the entire population both black and white will have an encounter with the police, that's not factual (now you could also go into the context of unlawful stops based on race, that would be another good data point used in this discussion)
Rice I am lost here. Even in faulty statistics models that have very little validity population matters. You have to have the population to derive your statistics. It is important to determine what your exact population is going to be and keep it homogeneous. But you need a population if you are going to talk about national events.

I read this whole post. It was good. Thanks for the paragraphs.
I "f" ing hate paragraphs. I also think that all of our English teachers in college and high school should be apologize for having us read some of the most boring books in history.

I think this is reasonable but the history of my interaction with you on this topic indicates to me that you have determined that racial injustice(racism) doesn’t exist and therefore you’re going to work toward any explanation that supports your theory.
I’m all for clear guidelines and standard procedures across the board, but at some point we have to all open our eyes and see the anecdotal evidence that clearly shows a disparity in the police treatment of races.

My employee who drives through Mt. Brook gets pulled over. Officer asked if she needed help finding something. She told him she was going to see a client and asked what she had done wrong. He told her to have a nice day. She was stopped for being black.
I’m 17 years old and playing basketball at night with some friends at my church. I went to get a drink from the hose (that’s what we did back then) and an officer pulls up. He starts questioning the guys and getting their names. I walk back up, the officer knows me because of my dad. He tells us to keep the noise down and have a good night. My friends were black.

I don’t see a racist behind every tree but I’m also not blind to the fact that racism is a factor in life in America. Actually in the world.

Last edited:
Rice I am lost here. Even in faulty statistics models that have very little validity population matters. You have to have the population to derive your statistics. It is important to determine what your exact population is going to be and keep it homogeneous. But you need a population if you are going to talk about national events.
I'm saying to further understand police brutality by race you have to take into account by race those that have had interactions with police to begin with, not just the population at large. Just going population gives a very birds eye view of this situation, I'm discussing taking a deeper dive into how police are handling these interactions by race. Seems like some are trying to throw out a full police racial profile narrative nationwide, without looking at the black on black crime rate and why police are more involved with blacks because of that variable. Blacks killing other blacks is bad, police killing innocent blacks are also bad, rioters that kill, loot and destroy cites are bad. All can and are true.

Last edited:
Reactions: aler
Your posts on the subject of race and police brutality have all been really solid. Unfortunately, you’re posting on a board with almost all the discussion being had by white dudes. Don’t get too frustrated

I don't pretend to be "woke" or a SJW but racial inequality is something I like to talk about and learn about. I support the police as well of course.

If white people use drugs just as much as black people, why are black people arrested more for drugs
Honestly I don’t know that to be true but I know my peer group was a lot more cautious and afraid of getting caught. If you were caught you started crying and said how sorry you were

I think this is reasonable but the history of my interaction with indicates to me that you have determined that racial injustice(racism) doesn’t exist and therefore you’re going to work toward any explanation that supports your theory.
I’m all for clear guidelines and standard procedures across the board, but at some point we have to all open our eyes and see the anecdotal evidence that clearly shows a disparity in the police treatment of races.

My employee who drives through Mt. Brook gets pulled over. Officer asked if she needed help finding something. She told him she was going to see a client and asked what she had done wrong. He told her to have a nice day. She was stopped for being black.
I’m 17 years old and playing basketball at night with some friends at my church. I went to get a drink from the hose (that’s what we did back then) and an officer pulls up. He starts questioning the guys and getting their names. I walk back up, the officer knows me because of my dad. He tells us to keep the noise down and have a good night. My friends were black.

I don’t see a racist bell hind every tree but I’m also not blind to the fact that racism is a factor in life in America. Actually in the world.
I don't believe in systemic racism exists but I am not in the inner city. As for your experiences have you thought that maybe who you were mattered more than your race?

We have a poverty problem in our country but it is not caused by race but some mostly minority communities are effected by poverty. They do not have a voice in our society because they do not have any power to get that voice out. The leadership loves to make racism charges because they do not have to follow up with specific actions because they are not going to be able to find the law to change racial injustice.

They are just counting on us being good people and trying to treat everyone with respect. They then yell racism and getting justice to be seen and then they disappear when I ask for more money for a work study program. Love people but am not thrilled with our people with power.

White lives matter. We should start a movement. That should go well in this F’ed up country right now.

fact is, Most of those whites shot probably deserved it and I Can admit it.
This

I would say most who got killed did resist, some got killed and didn't resist. The woman from Australia for instance was killed by a cop of Somalia decent in the United States and she didn't commit a crime. The cop was trigger happy and likely killed her because he was spooked. Shouldn't ever be a cop if you can't handle situations like this the right way.

If you change the races around in the scenario, there would be riots claiming racism caused the killing. Why is one situation considered racism and the other not? It seems to me that there is becoming a notion that only one form of racism exist: White against black. In reality, there are still many forms of racism that exist and it's all wrong.

We have an overall issue with police brutality and in my opinion black people are often discriminated against by the police when they shouldn't be. It's wrong and it needs to be changed. Does that mean systematic racism exist? I don't know. Racism certainly still exist and it doesn't need to. I know that for certain. We all can be better and need to be better in the name of loving our brothers and sisters regardless of skin color.
I was pretty much with you until the end. The whole we should all love one another sickens me. We should only care about those that deserve it. Regardless of shin tone

It's not public welfare, it's a system that makes it very hard to break the cycle of poverty. And it's unfair to say it's self-inflicted and it's not just a black issue. Poor whites, poor hispanics, poor asians all have a hard time breaking the cycle of poverty. But I don't believe it's systemic racism because that implies racist policies and I don't think racist policies drive the cycle. If anything, class and corporatism, maybe.
I stand corrected. I wasn’t aiming my response at only one race other than the fact this thread was geared that way.

Reactions: mackenzie
with alot of this happening in low income areas. This whole movement is about understanding that there are systemic things in place that make it more difficult for certain races to get out of poverty. If you are broke and need to eat bad enough you will steal it.

And who put the vast majority of those policies into place?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT