ADVERTISEMENT

A lot of talk by people who don't know what they are talking about.

Breumiacu_AU

First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member
Dec 23, 2020
The finals are a three-up/three-count format, meaning each country enters three of its four athletes on an apparatus, with all three scores counting.

"I just don't trust myself as much anymore," she said. "I don't know if it's age, I'm just more nervous when I do gymnastics. I feel like I'm also not having as much fun. And I know this Olympic Games, I wanted it to be for myself. I'm still doing it for other people."

She added, "At the end of the day, we don't want to be carried out of there on a stretcher ... You have to be there 100% because if you're not, you get hurt."

If she had competed, one of the other girls would not have competed. If she had competed and fallen or injured herself it would have hurt the team more than allowing another girl a chance to do better.

I have seen the true colors of some of you here and it isn't pretty.

The finals are a three-up/three-count format, meaning each country enters three of its four athletes on an apparatus, with all three scores counting.

"I just don't trust myself as much anymore," she said. "I don't know if it's age, I'm just more nervous when I do gymnastics. I feel like I'm also not having as much fun. And I know this Olympic Games, I wanted it to be for myself. I'm still doing it for other people."

She added, "At the end of the day, we don't want to be carried out of there on a stretcher ... You have to be there 100% because if you're not, you get hurt."

If she had competed, one of the other girls would not have competed. If she had competed and fallen or injured herself it would have hurt the team more than allowing another girl a chance to do better.

Agree. She really sacrificed for the betterment of the team.

• Haha
Reactions: War Eagle Girl

The Bunker would prefer her hurt her team for the sake of pride than make a decision that might help the team. I want to say it's telling but it's really not surprising with the number of smooth brained folks on here

I take her reasoning at face value and believe she did what she thought best. She knows herself better than anyone and made that choice. She will have to deal with the repercussions, right or wrong.

But there is a lot of judgement from people who will never be as good at anything as she is at gymnastics. Nor competed anywhere near that level.

That clarification on the scoring system does make it a lil bit better for me. Also as a renown STUD, even I admittedly have some off days.

Still disappointing our best folded during team finals.....no matter how you shake it.

So your case is she’s not a quitter but she choked? How would you classify the moment if Jordan pulled himself out of game 7 or the finals down one because he thought he would likely miss the last shot? Better to let a teammate take it?

edit - choked isn’t the right word, folded is more appropriate. $1 to @MCTIGgER IV

The Bunker would prefer her hurt her team for the sake of pride than make a decision that might help the team. I want to say it's telling but it's really not surprising with the number of smooth brained folks on here
Loving the "smooth-brained" bit. Zombies don't typically go for them. "The flavor's in the folds" they say.

I mean, it's not like she was the scrub on the team and no harm no foul if she didn't compete though.....I am thinking of it like you lost your #1 and now the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best are in there. Obviously it's a loose comparison, cause being on the team is like your in the 0.01 percentile. They are all good. It's just a tough look tbh.

You got it. Not many have or want to. They have staked their position without correct information and will not admit it.

So your case is she’s not a quitter but she choked? How would you classify the moment if Jordan pulled himself out of game 7 or the finals down one because he thought he would likely miss the last shot? Better to let a teammate take it?

edit - choked isn’t the right word, folded is more appropriate. $1 to @MCTIGgER IV
I found another 15%er

Here are the facts

she part of a 4 person team

she’s the best at this sport that’s ever lived

she got the lowest score she ever got on vault (just be

she walked away from the team competition not hurt. Just a bit too much pressure all the way around.

you think she was pressured what about the other 3 girls when they found out she quit.
They #%^* their pants.

had it not been for 11.7 on floor we would have won it. Without SB

Michael Phelps had just as much pressure as this girl but never quit in the middle of relay

Obviously, being incredibly in-tune with her mental health, she knew before she got on the plane that she wasn’t prepared to compete, and still made a conscious decision to take a spot on the team that could have been filled by someone who was prepared for competition.

Maybe her mental health issues are related to narcissism and lack of empathy?

579b6beb88e4a79f178bb99a

Gold is forever.

I thawt she hert the teeem two day DAWG.
Sheeez an amazing atheleeet but I thawt her body language wuz RUFF a coupla nites ago and I thawt she KWIT two day.
I hope she finds wut sheeez loookin fore

Obviously, being incredibly in-tune with her mental health, she knew before she got on the plane that she wasn’t prepared to compete, and still made a conscious decision to take a spot on the team that could have been filled by someone who was prepared for competition.

Maybe her mental health issues are related to narcissism and lack of empathy?
Or being sexually assaulted by Dr Nassar. You probably don't know about that either.

I found another 15%er
Do me a favor and explain. Give me a better comparison so that I can understand how people are praising her for this decision without seemingly one note of questioning - much less recrimination - from a typically extremely harsh sports media. I remember how Vince Carter was killed for attending his college graduation during the finals. I remember when Pippen was flayed for asking out when Phil gave the last shot to Toni. I remember press trying to destroy Bo for not playing through injuries. Help me understand how this decision is being received so favorably? Why is she getting a 100% pass?

Do me a favor and explain. Give me a better comparison so that I can understand how people are praising her for this decision without seemingly one note of questioning - much less recrimination - from a typically extremely harsh sports media. I remember how Vince Carter was killed for attending his college graduation during the finals. I remember when Pippen was flayed for asking out when Phil gave the last shot to Toni. I remember press trying to destroy Bo for not playing through injuries. Help me understand how this decision is being received so favorably? Why is she getting a 100% pass?
None of those people were performing stunts that could kill you if you aren't totally mentally ready to perform. Look up gymnasts’ injuries. She did things that are so dangerous that officials would not give her extra credit for difficulty because they afraid others would try and get hurt.

Reactions: JohnnyBeeGoode

Watching her perform now. This is one disaster after another. She quit.

Can you provide some cites for the blanket characterizations you make about those previous examples of coverage? For one, I remember Bo being covered pretty much universally as the world-class athlete that he was. His hitting in baseball was critiqued, fairly, I think — he was more an extra bagger than a hitter for average. But harshly covered? Ever? Especially by media as a whole? No.

Watching her perform now. This is one disaster after another. She quit.
She believed her performance would hurt the team. She would know better than any of us. If she only cared about herself she would not have given up the spotlight. Why does everyone only consider the worst answer? Her routine is so dangerous she could literally die if she wasn't mentally ready that night.

None of those people were performing stunts that could kill you if you aren't totally mentally ready to perform. Look up gymnasts’ injuries. She did things that are so dangerous that officials would not give her extra credit for difficulty because they afraid others would try and get hurt.
Okay, so using your words, she was mentally unprepared or incapable of performing dangerous skills and for her own safety she pulled out of the event. A couple follow ups then from me. First of all, I feel for her because that had to be the hardest decision to make when you prepare so long and so hard for this exact moment. But second of all, isn’t there a flip side to that coin - meaning as a professional athlete and the most decorated gymnast ever, seems like it’s a natural thing for people to go WTF?!?!

Should reporters be allowed to ask why? I mean, this is the nature of sports at the highest level - competition, high pressure - and she’s performed without fail until this time. What changed? When did she know she wasn’t fully prepared mentally to compete? Is anyone allowed to question this decision by the greatest of all time how/why this unbelievable event occurred?

Can you provide some cites for the blanket characterizations you make about those previous examples of coverage? For one, I remember Bo being covered pretty much universally as the world-class athlete that he was. His hitting in baseball was critiqued, fairly, I think — he was more an extra bagger than a hitter for average. But harshly covered? Ever? Especially by media as a whole? No.
I don't think I can help you. Her attention is worldwide.

Okay, so using your words, she was mentally unprepared or incapable of performing dangerous skills and for her own safety she pulled out of the event. A couple follow ups then from me. First of all, I feel for her because that had to be the hardest decision to make when you prepare so long and so hard for this exact moment. But second of all, isn’t there a flip side to that coin - meaning as a professional athlete and the most decorated gymnast ever, seems like it’s a natural thing for people to go WTF?!?!

Should reporters be allowed to ask why? I mean, this is the nature of sports at the highest level - competition, high pressure - and she’s performed without fail until this time. What changed? When did she know she wasn’t fully prepared mentally to compete? Is anyone allowed to question this decision by the greatest of all time how/why this unbelievable event occurred?
Reporters did ask why today. And she answered. She isn’t running from this at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT