ADVERTISEMENT

7 NFL head coach jobs opened this year, 0 African Americans have been hired yet

The whole argument is dumb. You just proved the point. Black guys are better at that position. White dudes are better at others. Fin
Lmao this argument wouldn’t be needed if everyone understood the point you just tried to make is so wrong.

I can assure you all if Allen Greene wasn’t an exceptional speaker/interviewer he wouldn’t have gotten an opportunity at Auburn.

If Jay Jacobs was black he would not have lasted as long at AU as he did. If Gus Malzahn was black he would not have lasted as long as he did.

Point being. When you’re black being good enough is not good enough. One must be better than. Anyone with good sense can understand this.

Business aren’t hiring individuals who they think isn’t the best for the job. They are hiring who they think is best. You may not agree with the hire but companies want what is best for their companies/making them money. The idea that businesses hire based on race is stupid. Should we have a requirement to have all companies have an equal proportion of gay, transgender, male/female, black/white, etc people? Geez this world is going to shit very quickly

Business aren’t hiring individuals who they think isn’t the best for the job. They are hiring who they think is best. You may not agree with the hire but companies want what is best for their companies/making them money. The idea that businesses hire based on race is stupid. Should we have a requirement to have all companies have an equal proportion of gay, transgender, male/female, black/white, etc people? Geez this world is going to shit very quickly
There is a perception that black professionals are not as trustworthy as white professionals to hold elite positions. The perception is the problem.
If the perception was equal there would be no need for the nonsense.

How many Cherokee Indians ?

iu

I dont GAF its just interesting to point out. The NFL just went through about 9 months of raising their fist in solidarity with each other and then when the rubber meets the road they hired this guy

usatsi_11529670-1.jpg
Dude is a billionaire who didn’t have to work a day in his life, instead decided to make his own path in life. Essentially started working for the titans as a towel boy. He has earned this opportunity.

He has done a great job in SF. Probably my favorite long term potential hire of the bunch.
I think he's the best of the bunch as well, although I'm not sure it'll matter since he's coaching the Jets. Really like the guy a lot though.

I think the Texans will go with Bieniemy, but it'll be interesting depending on what goes down with D Watson. They'd be a good fit, but DW seems like he really wants out so maybe EB won't jump at the opportunity. Honestly, if I was EB, I'd stay exactly where I am and wait til Andy Reid retires and take over the Chiefs. Might be a better career choice than joining a shitty franchise and most likely getting fired a few years later, but an NFL HC opportunity would be tough to turn down.

Reactions: anon_xdkqbpnrbtnct
There is a perception that black professionals are not as trustworthy as white professionals to hold elite positions. The perception is the problem.
If the perception was equal there would be no need for the nonsense.
I will agree to disagree

Reactions: WDamn
Chargers : Fired Anthony Lynn, Hired Brandon Staley
Falcons: Fired Dan Quinn, Finished season with Raheem Morris, Hired Arthur Smith
Eagles: Fired Doug Pederson, Hired Nick Sirianni
Jaguars: Fired Doug Marrone, Hired Urban Meyer
Detroit Lions: Fired Matt Patricia, HIred Dan Campbell
Jets: Fired Adam Gase, Hired Robert Saleh
Texans: Fired Bill o Brien, Finished season with Romeo Crennel, Hired ???

# of African American coaches that finished the season for their team on this list: 3
# of African American coaches hired: 0

I'm not agitating or offering commentary here, I'm genuinely interested in this.

Several of these hires I'm not sure I would be ok if they got the job at Auburn.
I’m all for hiring the most qualified, but some of the hires are a joke. This ish is ridiculous. Dan Campbell, a TE’s coach got a job and proceeded to tell us how his teams will bite knees.

I'm going to say something controversial. You want more black head coaches hired? Well maybe the ones that do get hired start winning somewhere.
Dig up Turner Gill. Where is that dude anyway?

I think he's the best of the bunch as well, although I'm not sure it'll matter since he's coaching the Jets. Really like the guy a lot though.

I think the Texans will go with Bieniemy, but it'll be interesting depending on what goes down with D Watson. They'd be a good fit, but DW seems like he really wants out so maybe EB won't jump at the opportunity. Honestly, if I was EB, I'd stay exactly where I am and wait til Andy Reid retires and take over the Chiefs. Might be a better career choice than joining a shitty franchise and most likely getting fired a few years later, but an NFL HC opportunity would be tough to turn down.

I wouldn't touch the Texans job as dysfunctional as they seem unless they can guarantee me that Watson is gonna be my QB. But that seems like a long shot.

I wouldn't touch the Texans job as dysfunctional as they seem unless they can guarantee me that Watson is gonna be my QB. But that seems like a long shot.

Where is Watson going? He's under contract for a long time. I wouldn't worry at all about that one.

Do the Saints have the ability to work that out with their current cap situation? Would be scary to see DW in NOLA with Payton. As a Falcons fan, I hope this doesn't happen.

How are the Saints gonna pay Watson $40 million a year and Taysom Hill $60 million a year?

• Haha
Reactions: stutsman23
This has been talked about for years and in college for Head Coaches it's bad too. Honestly it's a tragedy. Back in the day it was hard for an African American to get the QB job but this has changed tremendously. The only answer is it's racism and hopefully will change as the QB position has changed some in a favorable way. Thanks for bringing this up. I can only do my small part ( since I'm not a super rich person ) and not be racist and love people no matter what color the color of their skin!!! WDE!

Only answer is its Racism? YGTBFKM. Maybe they are not qualified, or sucked in previous position, which is why they were fired. People that blame everything on racism, is part of the problem, IMO. AA have more advantages than any other race within the United States. If 2 candidates are identical in experience, educations, resumes, interviews, the AA will get the job 9 out of 10 times.

My background is Asian (Vietnamese). I came to America with my brother and sister during the Vietnam war. I never understood this mindset of hiring an individual based on race instead of merit. I have always avoided these types of men that use the language "my people" or " as a black man" or "as a asian man." I had many friends (mainly minorities) growing up in Alabama tell me this country would keep me down because I "looked different." I quickly found that those friends only saw race instead of taking accountability for themselves. I didnt start speaking English until I arrived here at age 13. I now have my own business and employees from various backgrounds but not once, did I ever hire anyone with ethnicity being a determinate. The fact that this is a narrative that seems to dominate the headlines in this country still disappoints me. Some people may look at me and see an asian man, but I have always referred to myself as a American and I'm so grateful and proud to be one. Any individual that plays football for a school or professionally that thinks they cant relate to their coach because he doesn't look like them has their self-worth and life priorities built from the wrong foundation.
amen Brother

Only answer is its Racism? YGTBFKM. Maybe they are not qualified, or sucked in previous position, which is why they were fired. People that blame everything on racism, is part of the problem, IMO. AA have more advantages than any other race within the United States. If 2 candidates are identical in experience, educations, resumes, interviews, the AA will get the job 9 out of 10 times.
tenor.gif

They were interviewed ... sounds to me like they should've done a better job interviewing ?

Reactions: Double Dees
They were interviewed ... sounds to me like they should've done a better job interviewing ?
Maybe not. Maybe they did just fine and the other guy knocked it outa the park?

The people doing the hiring are very successful, highly competitive people in an uber-competitive industry, playing for huge stakes. A person would have to be a special kind of stupid to believe that they make key decisions based on skin color.

The people doing the hiring are very successful, highly competitive people in an uber-competitive industry, playing for huge stakes.

A not-insignificant portion of NFL ownership and management right now is through inheritance and marriage.

Reactions: war77eagle
It really is bizarre how the league has been majority African American for so long yet it’s still so hard for them to get an HC job.
The % of the population hot takes mocking this conundrum are lazy.
I wonder if in Eric Bieniemy’s case his lack of options is due to his issues with law and investigations at Colorado. League has overlooked these type issues plenty in past though.

Last edited:
It really is bizarre how the league has been majority African American for so long yet it’s still so hard for them to get an HC job.
The % of the population hot takes mocking this conundrum are lazy.
I wonder if in Eric Bieniemy’s case his lack of options is due to his issues with law and investigations at Colorado.

6 of the 31 NFL coaches right now played NFL ball. Meaning they actually played and made a roster.

If you follow the careers of these guys, many of them started out Graduate Assisting somewhere like in a college. So, some of these guys spent their 20s grinding, to their credit.

Here's an article from 2017, ranking the baseball careers of MLB managers

Almost everybody on this list played in the big show. How many MLB managers can you name who just grinded in the college ranks without having played high level baseball themselves?

Isn't that kind of a weird thing about football?

Reactions: war77eagle
I'm going to say something controversial. You want more black head coaches hired? Well maybe the ones that do get hired start winning somewhere.
Black, white, or whatever, almost nobody wins in the NFL for long. Those who do are more the result of a great QB than their own abilities as coaches. The NFL is highly competitive.

Let's point out that one of the defenses of not hiring black coaches is that they do not call plays. The Eagles just hired a guy who has NEVER called plays in the NFL.

There is always a reason given, and it is never satisfying. It's racism. Straight up.

Since it's all about race, what is the combined record of AA head coaches in the NFL? Is there any evidence to support that having dark brown skin leads to more success as an NFL head coach? If not, how is it racism?

Last edited:
Freddie Kitchens has been a NFL head coach. Maybe the people making the decisions for some of these teams are idiots.

FTR, I’d hire Eric Bienemy immediately. Also think Anthony Lynn needs another shot.

Lynn wanted to start Tyrod Taylor over Locks of Love. I'm not sure he needs another shot right now.

ADVERTISEMENT