ADVERTISEMENT

100 million to fight racism

Interesting question in response to what I wrote, but I lived towards the west side of downtown on 9th street for 4 years upon arriving here. Did I go far inside of West Louisville to take my kids to a playground... I did not. I did take him to the riverfront playgrounds downtown that were probably 75% minorities. Those were the closest to me.

West Louisville isn’t a nice place. I’m assuming you’re aware of that. But I lived right there at the start of it. I was around it. There were some stores I would venture into it when needed. And every time I went further inside the area, it made me pretty sad. It made me reflect on my life a lot. And it’s very easy to see how living in that area would cause a lack of hope and ambition.
Remember it is not the minority neighborhoods that are bad is is sometimes the bad neighborhoods have minorities. The places with a good median income usually have safe neighborhoods. The community will not put up with the problems and a lot of the bad behavior comes from not having structure.

Louisville did not seem that split but I never spent that much time there. I hope it wasn't like East St Louis and St Louis.

Start a grassroots movement in every major city to flood city council meetings week after week to end the war on drugs, demilitarize our local police forces and end the private penitentiary industry.

I don’t understand your private prisons argument. If anything, it would be better to get rid of state run prisons. I have a family member who was the head of a private prison. Inmates wear real clothes. They are required to have a job and be enrolled in education and counseling programs. They have very little free time due to this, so less time for trouble. Their recidivism rate was very low at this particular prison. They actually focused on rehabilitation.

Reactions: kenews
What would happen if you took all of the people living in the worst neighborhoods in LA, Baltimore, NYC, etc and moved all of those people into very nice neighborhoods and gave them a car, food, etc? Would that change anything?

Reactions: kenews
I don’t understand your private prisons argument. If anything, it would be better to get rid of state run prisons. I have a family member who was the head of a private prison. Inmates wear real clothes. They are required to have a job and be enrolled in education and counseling programs. They have very little free time due to this, so less time for trouble. Their recidivism rate was very low at this particular prison. They actually focused on rehabilitation.
I am with you here. The thing is I am not a big fan of any prison but one where you are basically moving to an apartment and paying back your debt, I am fine. They can actually stay there longer than their term if needed. The thing is what to do with people who can not be in society. I do not have an answer.

What would happen if you took all of the people living in the worst neighborhoods in LA, Baltimore, NYC, etc and moved all of those people into very nice neighborhoods and gave them a car, food, etc? Would that change anything?
Not without a career. We have always identified ourselves by our profession and just giving them money does not help They need the pride that comes from being self sufficient. That is why I don't understand what happened to our unemployment money being used for skill training. Anyway they need to buy into being a part of society.

Reactions: Thrill
Not without a career. We have always identified ourselves by our profession and just giving them money does not help They need the pride that comes from being self sufficient. That is why I don't understand what happened to our unemployment money being used for skill training. Anyway they need to buy into being a part of society.

ok, add a job to the equation. Would that solve it? Would you have people able and willing to show up for work everyday?

Interesting question in response to what I wrote, but I lived towards the west side of downtown on 9th street for 4 years upon arriving here. Did I go far inside of West Louisville to take my kids to a playground... I did not. I did take him to the riverfront playgrounds downtown that were probably 75% minorities. Those were the closest to me.

West Louisville isn’t a nice place. I’m assuming you’re aware of that. But I lived right there at the start of it. I was around it. There were some stores I would venture into it when needed. And every time I went further inside the area, it made me pretty sad. It made me reflect on my life a lot. And it’s very easy to see how living in that area would cause a lack of hope and ambition.

so you lived down there, but left? When you left, did you move away from those types of areas or closer/more into them?

so you lived down there, but left? When you left, did you move away from those types of areas or closer/more into them?

Yes. People move. Moved about 10-15 minutes from downtown to St Matthews. It’s a nicer area. Not gonna hide that. We lived in a condo and felt the need to get a house/yard with our son. I enjoyed living down there. There were pros and cons. Where do you live and why do you live there?

Private prisons didn’t exist before the war on drugs. They won’t be needed if we turn the war on drugs from away from a police issue to a health crisis issue.
It’s just my opinion that in the same way you can’t tax and legislate people out of poverty you can’t police people out of drug addiction.

From the Jordan brand

What do you do with the money?
Are you framing the question accurately?

The company confirmed on Instagram that it will be committing $100 million to "protecting and improving the lives of Black people through actions dedicated towards racial equality, social justice and education."

I agree education is the answer, but schools fail because they’re given kids who are not prepared and do not have the support systems away from school to make them successful. The education needs to begin with the parents
Correct, inner city schools already have more funding than others. The difference is parents.

So why not spend the money educating parents on how to raise kids that respect everyone. Also maybe teach kids that racism is bad even if you are black and hate white people.

Reactions: audeuce02
I need a lot more money, but I would start a program that paid teenagers and young women up to the age of 25 to go on implantable birth control. That would cut down on the number of unplanned/unwanted pregnancies. That, in turn, would allow young women to stay in school, get more and better education and better jobs.

I then would expand and subsidize trade schools in low income areas that gave young people or marginal or less educational aptitude a way to get get involved in a productive, good paying career.

And I would also require that basic economic principles be taught to every public school student beginning in 1st great and all the way through 12th. Most kids graduate from high school with no knowledge of how our economy works, how lending and taxes work, etc.

Much like you can’t legislate morality, you can’t legislate away racism. What we can do is come up with programs that materially enhance the ability of young poor people to break out of the cycle of poverty.

Reactions: audeuce02
ADVERTISEMENT