ADVERTISEMENT

100 million to fight racism

From the Jordan brand

What do you do with the money?
Increase funding to the police to protect communities from being burned down by rioters targeting black neighborhoods. Also fund pro-life community outreach centers and organizations to fight Planned Parenthood’s abortion mills which kill more black children than any racist police officer could ever hope to.

From the Jordan brand

It is a drop in the bucket when it comes to the amount of poverty some minorities face but use it to build an investment model for poor communities. Without the industry in those neighborhoods the rest is just wasting fricking time. If we are not careful it will go into the same peoples hands that scream racism and get rich but do nothing to help. The model would have to include education geared to running that industry and the rest will take care of itself. Maybe have a manufacturing company that makes his shoes over here and not in China.

It is a drop in the bucket when it comes to the amount of poverty some minorities face but use it to build an investment model for poor communities. Without the industry in those neighborhoods the rest is just wasting fricking time. If we are not careful it will go into the same peoples hands that scream racism and get rich but do nothing to help. The model would have to include education geared to running that industry and the rest will take care of itself. Maybe have a manufacturing company that makes his shoes over here and not in China.

I mean I agree with all those things as being effective in helping the black community

But what does any of that have to do with racism

The public school system is so terrible and failing that it keeps minorities down - making it more difficult to rise out of their circumstances and succeed with out government assistance.

Don’t disagree. But what would the 100 mill go towards?

Why not just issue vouchers to go to non failing schools if they want?

Reactions: overman185
Education is the key to upward economic mobility. Black children in lower income areas have been forced to attend failing public schools for too long. It’s time to give them another option.

I 100% agree. Vouchers are the answer. What would 100 million do?

I mean I agree with all those things as being effective in helping the black community

But what does any of that have to do with racism
So Micheal Jordan is treated differently because of his race, or is it because he played basketball and made a ton of money. You can not combat racism unless it is systemic and that is just not the case. A choke hold is not racist, the officer could be, but the move is not.

The problem is people without economic power are abused in our country. The people who are screaming racism the most are not the ones who have to deal with poverty. How much luck are you going to have in life if you no path to success? It is a lie that race is blocking your path to success it is a lack of attainable avenues for your success. We do not have that many people in the US that worry about race when making money. They worry about the money. Let us help more people get the money and then they can get justice on their own.

Probably would not last long sadly. Much like the college system that increases their fees due to more free or cheap money - so would a lot of these schools.

$100 million by itself won’t do much. Pooled with other like minded money it could a least make a dent. Got to start somewhere.

Education is the key to upward economic mobility. Black children in lower income areas have been forced to attend failing public schools for too long. It’s time to give them another option.
Again. How does that fight racism? Haha nobody can ever answer that question. How do you fight something that is impossible to prove the existence of?

Reactions: kenews
Increase funding to the police to protect communities from being burned down by rioters targeting black neighborhoods. Also fund pro-life community outreach centers and organizations to fight Planned Parenthood’s abortion mills which kill more black children than any racist police officer could ever hope to.

Ding

Again. How does that fight racism? Haha nobody can ever answer that question. How do you fight something that is impossible to prove the existence of?
That is true but it does not mean we can't help people that are disadvantaged. That message gets lost when you let the message go to a race because our system is not racist. People are inherently kind and want to help, we just need to know how.

Most Black communities, like rough places in Baltimore, have been given money focused on advancement of African Americans. Obama gave away 1.8 Billion to Baltimore to fix the inner city crime issues and education. Majority of this money went towards so called changes and advancements. They found out these communities didn’t want to change.... Still a very high crime rate in Baltimore. The city is still very corrupt and headed up by majority minority leaders.

So throwing money at something doesn’t help... You gotta want to change. And to me it’s a culture change and a grip the mirror moment for some.

The public school system is so terrible and failing that it keeps minorities down - making it more difficult to rise out of their circumstances and succeed with out government assistance.

I agree education is the answer, but schools fail because they’re given kids who are not prepared and do not have the support systems away from school to make them successful. The education needs to begin with the parents

Maybe they should go to one of these schools in Birmingham as a test. Send half of them to Mountain Brook and the other half to Vestavia Hills. Would be interesting to see how it would turn out. Can't argue with results.

That is true but it does not mean we can't help people that are disadvantaged. That message gets lost when you let the message go to a race because our system is not racist. People are inherently kind and want to help, we just need to know how.
Helping people who are less fortunate is what it should say. People who are less fortunate are not less fortunate because of racism lol.

and improve inner-city schools...... education and hope is what will improve relations - racism and socio-economic

Reactions: kenews
From the Jordan brand

$100MM over 10 years. What a joke from someone with his wealth.

The man made $145MM last year and is worth $2.1B.

So for the next 10 years he’s donating <7% of his income to this issue.

My opinion, use it to fund development of diverse schools and communities. Much of racial ignorance can be resolved by closing the gap of racially biased schools and communities. We need whites, blacks, spanish, asians, and other racial dynamics educated, working and living together in the same community. Segregation ended years ago but you wouldn't know it in some parts of the country.

My opinion, use it to fund development of diverse schools and communities. Much of racial ignorance can be resolved by closing the gap of racially biased schools and communities. We need whites, blacks, spanish, asians, and other racial dynamics educated, working and living together in the same community. Segregation ended years ago but you wouldn't know it in some parts of the country.
Do people want that? Or is that just some utopian dream?

I haven’t seen any signs up in neighborhoods that say “No Blacks Allowed!”

People just tend to be drawn to communities that share similar interests and values. Some of those things aren’t remotely driven by race, but certainly there are cultural differences between races for others that would make assimilating undesirable.

In regards to education, here in Louisville We don’t have school districts within the city that tie you to your local school. We have an integrated system that aims to desegregate schools that’s re typically based on where u live. Kids are sent to schools all over Louisville and have been doing this for around 40 years now. It sounds like something that could work. And I do believe it’s certainly created more diversity in our school systems. I’ve read we are one of the nations most diversified cities in regards to K-12 education. The biggest complaints are from parents that end up having their children in schools that aren’t very close to their home.

Having said that, I believe it’s also a reason we have so many private schools here. I would say most parents are happy with the public K-5 school systems. The middle and high schools are the ones I hear the most complaints about.

There’s still plenty of issues here with our schools and this system could probably be an entire thread/topic on its own. I had never heard of a school system like this until moving here. I believe it’s done some good. But the city, like most others, is still struggling with race relations.

In regards to education, here in Louisville We don’t have school districts within the city that tie you to your local school. We have an integrated system that aims to desegregate schools that’s re typically based on where u live. Kids are sent to schools all over Louisville and have been doing this for around 40 years now. It sounds like something that could work. And I do believe it’s certainly created more diversity in our school systems. I’ve read we are one of the nations most diversified cities in regards to K-12 education. The biggest complaints are from parents that end up having their children in schools that aren’t very close to their home.

Having said that, I believe it’s also a reason we have so many private schools here. I would say most parents are happy with the public K-5 school systems. The middle and high schools are the ones I hear the most complaints about.

There’s still plenty of issues here with our schools and this system could probably be an entire thread/topic on its own. I had never heard of a school system like this until moving here. I believe it’s done some good. But the city, like most others, is still struggling with race relations.
Would you take your kids to a park in the west end?

and improve inner-city schools...... education and hope is what will improve relations - racism and socio-economic
Well the thing is shown at why charter schools work because they all are bought in. Public schools get caught trying to work with people who are not bought in and they are not allowed to let them leave.

From the Jordan brand

Start a grassroots movement in every major city to flood city council meetings week after week to end the war on drugs, demilitarize our local police forces and end the private penitentiary industry.

Massive educational investments and after school programs.

Take on food deserts

Would you take your kids to a park in the west end?

Interesting question in response to what I wrote, but I lived towards the west side of downtown on 9th street for 4 years upon arriving here. Did I go far inside of West Louisville to take my kids to a playground... I did not. I did take him to the riverfront playgrounds downtown that were probably 75% minorities. Those were the closest to me.

West Louisville isn’t a nice place. I’m assuming you’re aware of that. But I lived right there at the start of it. I was around it. There were some stores I would venture into it when needed. And every time I went further inside the area, it made me pretty sad. It made me reflect on my life a lot. And it’s very easy to see how living in that area would cause a lack of hope and ambition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT