ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 Concert Countdown - Ozzfest 1999 (#8)

MetallicAub

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2015
Smack dab in the middle of drivel season but also in the middle of summer concert season...I wanted to detail the best concerts I have even attended with a top 10 list.

Too long, don't want to read - Ozzfest at Lakewood Ampitheatre in Atlanta 1999 is #8

Why it is special
This is arguably the greatest festival lineup of my lifetime. Frankly looking back at it...I am shocked how many amazing and enduring bands were at this show. It was my first time seeing Black Sabbath, Slipknot, Slayer and so many more. Ozzfest was so amazing back in the...other festivals have tried to replicate it but I have never had the same feeling at a one day metal festival that was present at an Ozzfest. This is also the only time I have seen all four original members of Sabbath play a show together...all other shows were with 3 of the 4 original members.

Highlights
Children of the Grave!!!!!!!! - honestly the entire Sabbath set was incredible.
Slayer opening their set with RAINING BLOOD!!!!!!!!
Rob Zombie covering Super Charger Heaven....my favorite White Zombie song
Wayne Static RIP
Primus - my nickname in High School was Primus because I loved them so much

Setlist - I could list a bunch but to keep it "short" I will go with the headliner only which was Black Sabbath
  1. War Pigs
  2. N.I.B.
  3. Fairies Wear Boots
  4. After Forever
  5. Electric Funeral
  6. Sweet Leaf
  7. Into the Void
  8. Snowblind
  9. Dirty Women
  10. Black Sabbath
  11. Iron Man
  12. Children of the Grave
  13. Encore:
  14. Paranoid
    (With Supernaut intro)
Odd Memory
I think it was 11AM and me and my buddies were walking by the 2nd stage at Lakewood. It was a small stage and there were 9 dudes in the summer, in Atlanta, outside, dressed in jumpsuits and masks going freaking crazy on the stage. I did not know Slipknot at this point but I was literally speechless. I had never seen anything like it before. The chaos, the energy...you could not walk away from that short set before noon feeling like this was something special.

Supporting Acts
Rob Zombie
Deftones
Slayer
Primus
System of a Down
Godsmack
Fear Factory
Static X
Slipknot

Why it should be higher
Look at this lineup...every single one of those bands headlines 15K+ venues today. These bands have become staples in my musical life...in the last year I have paid to see Rob Zombie, Deftones, System of a Down, Godsmack, Static X and Slipknot. Paid to see them headline individual shows or play on a huge tour in a prime slot. This was the heyday of Metal and this was THE show of my youth.

Why it should be lower
Honestly...I can't think of a reason to have this one lower.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News