ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL SEC Media Days: Mike Leach...

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
Mike Leach is about to make his first appearance at SEC Media Days. As someone who covered him at Wazzu for a hot minute, I would recommend following along.

* Professional highlight of mine was being invited to sit in a Leach quarterback meeting. It was as awesome as you can imagine. Now, Leach is going to be talking.

* Sankey mentioning Leach's books. The Commish and Leach also share a passion for standup waterboarding. OKAY!

* In typical Leach style, absolutely no opening statement.

* HIs quarterbacks have to elevate the play of the other players on the team. Gardner Minshew was great at that. It will be either Will Rogers or Jack Abraham, a transfer from Southern Miss.

* Leach thinks there are too many players in the transfer portal. Players like to cut and run nowadays. He also has the ability to say a lot of words without saying anything.

* Note to reporters wanting one of the legendary Leach rants: don't ask football questions. Ask anything else. Literally ANYTHING.

* Leach thinks Will Rogers did a good job last year as a true freshman. Says he does elevate the players around him.

* Praises Bobby Bowden, who it was reported has a terminal illness today, as a person that made him and others want to go into coaching.

* Leach thinks 12 teams in playoff is a step in right direction but still wants to see 64 teams. How that will work I have no idea.

* "What did you think about the talent in the SEC?" The reporter should have asked "How bad is the Pac-12?"

* Leach says he doubts he will play two quarterbacks. Praises Abraham's experience.

* Pretty sure one reporter just compared LSU's defense to cardboard cutouts.

* Leach pitching that when a player graduates, he gets $100-$150K, but only if you graduate from that school. Don't get it if you transfer.

* "I didn't end up in the middle of the coup, so lucky for me." - Leach on the Tennessee job search in 2017.

* Kyle Field is college football's Carnegie Hall.

* "We let the guys who know what they are doing handle it." - Leach on vaccination of team.

* "If I was or wasn't, I wouldn't share it with you." Leach on if he is vaccinated.

* Leach taught a class at Wazzu and he's talked about doing the same thing at Mississippi State. Loved having the speakers come in and talk to the students. Says coaching and teaching is quite similar though you don't get in trouble as much for swearing in coaching.

Coach Leach's time is done.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News