ADVERTISEMENT

Question about police laser speed detection

AirmanTiger

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 16, 2001
Question for those in law enforcement, or other who might know...

I got a ticket on I-10 near Live Oak (Suwanee County) FL the other day. The citation was for 84 in a 70. There's no doubt my speed was over the limit (70), but I'm all but certain my actual speed was about 76, as that's what I had my cruise control set on, and I know my foot was flat on the floor and not touching the accelerator.

That said, my citation says my speed was detected using a Pro Laser 3, which I understand is a hand-held device. I clearly observed the trooper was traveling west bound (I was east bound) when he turned out of the lane to cross the median and turn around. So my question is -- how is a hand-held device used to pin point a single vehicle (among 3 or 4 other nearby vehicles) while the officer is driving his car? I realize they sometimes do tandem stops where one vehicle observes while the other chases, but that doesn't make sense in this case, as the officer was traveling, not sitting around waiting for another to tell him who to pull over (and he stated "I measured your speed with a laser").

Just curious if it's possible to accurately use a hand-held laser while driving. I don't plan to contest it, because (1) either way, 84 or 76, I was over the posted limit, and (2) what good would it do to say he was driving when he would like just say he wasn't?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News