ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Philip Montgomery quick notes (8/7)

BrianStultz

All-American
Staff
Jul 1, 2021
We are set to speak with offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery as Auburn finished its fourth practice of fall camp.

Follow along and refresh for all updates.

*** Quarterback competition: "I've been pleased with their progression and what they are doing. I think they understand what we are trying to do offensively. Gotta make sure our eyes are getting in the right spot." Says he has been pleased the last couple of days in the RPO game.

*** "Still a long ways to go before we figure out who that is going to be." - on getting a starting quarterback

*** On wide receiver play: "I feel like the last several days I've seen some guys having some sparks. We have to be more detail oriented running our routes." Mentions spacing and finding areas to get open.

*** "We have a lot of battles going on for positions whether you are talking about at receiver and quarterback. The tight ends have added a factor for us. We have some really athletic tight ends. We have a lot of depth that we have to keep building on."

*** On aggressive goals for tempo: "We gotta make sure it is matching up with our personnel." Mentions a lot of guys aren't used to playing up tempo. They need to get their eyes to the sidelines faster to get play call.

*** On Damari and Jeremiah Cobb: "I think we have a talented running back room. Each one of them are bringing different things to the table. Jeremiah has good speed and vision."

*** On equal reps for quarterbacks: "I just want to see someone take control and really take a step forward, separate themselves. That is what you are looking for in the quarterback."

*** On Offensive line: "They've come a long way and still are. We still have some new faces up there that we are working in. Playing offensive line is all about gelling as a unit. We have some great battles going on right now."

*** On adjusting to the game: "Everyone is looking for an edge. I remember when (someone) went to the triple option and we had to adjust to that. The game is always involving. We have to put our guys in the best scenario to have success."

*** On Holden Geriner: "He is a natural thrower. The ball just zips off his hand. He stands tall in the pocket. I think he has the ability to do things with his feet and get on the outside." - Basically, he can spin it.

*** "I think Caleb Burton does have the ability to play inside out. Good route runner. He understands spacing and holes and how to get into them."

*** Jaiyre and Shane, their heads were spinning a little bit on the first few days. Shane has huge hands.

*** "He's one of the hardest working dudes." - on Burton

*** On Jay Fair's progression: "I think he is electric. I think he put on some good weight, good muscle this summer. I think Jay is playing with a lot more confidence. He's being more decisive with his decisions."

*** On Robby Ashford's progression: "I honestly think Robby has thrown the ball better this fall camp. He's been a little more consistent with his underneath stuff. That's an area where he wants to improve. He has a big arm." - Mentions he has worked really hard on accuracy.

*** On Payton Thorne's strengths: "You want to talk about a guy who is professional with the way he works. He's another guy that you have to run out of the building ... He wants to be on top of every detail of the offense."

That's it for Roberts. Have a great Monday.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News